How negative are F1 Bat fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All you Bat fin users...how negative are they? Currently in a drysuit I wear 1-1.5lb ankle weights with my neutral/floaty scubapro Jet Sport fins. Since I dive dry and sometimes with doubles I am looking for a more technical/stiff fin like a Jet or F1 Bat fin. I have a good source for a good price on the bat fin but I am just trying to get an idea if by switching to the F1 bat, will I be able to drop some or all of my ankle weight? I know the Jet fins are pretty dang negative. Thanks!

I'm not at home to weigh mine but they're at least as heavy as the Jets.

I haven't actually weighed my F1 fins in the water. But, when I bought them, the shop guy (who is a very experienced tech diver and who uses them himself) told me he thought they were around 3# negative. I only use them with my dry suit and I use them precisely because my feet were too floaty with neutral fins. With the F1s, my feet have been tamed. :)

I would be surprised if they were 3# negative in the water, but probably at least 2. You'll probably be able to drop the ankle weights. As a long time, old school jetfin user, I love my batfins.

I would be surprised if they were 3# negative in the water, but probably at least 2. You'll probably be able to drop the ankle weights. As a long time, old school jetfin user, I love my batfins.
Are we talking total for both fins or PER each fin? Id hate to get them and still be buoyant and need ankle weights because I don't think they make any ankle weights lighter than 1lb. Adding a bit of air to feet in a drysuit to make them float is not hard but trying to get your feet to sink just stinks! But I guess that is the risk I take.

Are we talking total for both fins or PER each fin? Id hate to get them and still be buoyant and need ankle weights because I don't think they make any ankle weights lighter than 1lb. Adding a bit of air to feet in a drysuit to make them float is not hard but trying to get your feet to sink just stinks! But I guess that is the risk I take.

Well, I don't know of any fins that are MORE negative.... If you get them and your feet are still too floaty, you could try some gaiters to keep the air out of your feet.

Stuartv is right, you won't find many fins, if any, that are heavier.

I went from 1.75# ankle weights to 1# weights when I switched to F1s. I'm still playing with my trim though so I might ditch the ankle weights altogether. I'm out of the water for a bit with an inner ear issue so it will be a while before that happens.

I know a guy named Guido who might make you some cement fins.

Jets and F1s--those are the popular choices in heavier fins. Seems each has its fans.

As the original consumer tester of the fins - both the originals and the yellow tips (still have both sets of prototypes)- the F-1's are designed to be more or less neutral in salt water. Depending on the size they are anywhere from -1lb to - 1.5 lbs in freshwater. Real world numbers. Started diving them in 2008 and still use them in wide open spaces and current when my HOG tech fins are not what I want to have on my feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom