how often do you change o rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to resurrect an old post but the topic is relevant to everyone so I thought I would add:
Lubrication of O-rings is ESSENTIAL to O-ring health and longevity! All O-rings (whether Butyl rubber, Nitrile, Silicone or otherwise) require moisture to remain supple and pliable. It is exactly these two features that allow an O-ring to do it's job: Form PRECISELY to an orifice and seal it water-tight. With Camera and lights costing hundreds or thousands of dollars we should NEVER risk loss over $0.20 worth of O-rings.
The true job of Silicone lube is to "Lock out Oxygen" which is, of course, present in the ambient air that we breath and that is coating everything we own / store.
Lack of lubrication (at least in my mind) is the #1 reason for O-ring failure! As our O-rings sit idle in the oxygen laden atmosphere, the oxygen is slowing robbing our O-rings of electrons (oxygen is an oxidizer - which means it steals electrons from other substances). The electrons stolen by oxygen typically come from the water molecules in our O-rings. This slowly dries out our O-rings and cause them to become stiff and brittle. Micro cracks form and their ability to form precisely to an orifice is compromised. The failure of an O-ring (at least in electronics applications) is often catastrophic. Save yourself the frustration! Lubricate your O-rings frequently (as much as after every dive - or at least after every "trip" or consecutive days. I, personally, replace my o-rings annually on electronics, because I won't risk a catastrophic failure.
On air related gear, sure, you can get by until signs of a leak begin to appear (small bubbles escaping your low-pressure inflator, for example. But, with electronics...it's probably too late! Save your sanity and lube and replace those O-rings on a schedule! Good diving everyone. Pardon my wordiness!

I have had a Nauticam housing for about 10 years. I never needed to replace any 0 ring. I have had Ikelite strobes the same length of time. I cleaned and regreased the - rings every time I opened the housing and at the end of a trip and before a trip. The housing and strobes had over 600 dives. I think as long as you keep the 0 rings clean and greased, they should last almost for ever. I do have spare 0 rings but never needed them.

No way an O ring will last forever. You are just pushing the limit until it will die and you will cry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom