How often do you dive? How often is "realistic"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm at about 200 dives.....THIS YEAR. hate me...i don't care :D
We do... ;-)

That's awesome. When I worked as a DM in my mis-spent Yoot, I was managing about 375 to 450 dives a year. That was pre-computer days so shorter dives, but my fingertips were permanently pruney...

There's not one answer to "how often is realistic". Unless you have a distorted set of priorities life has way too many things that can take priority. Over 11 years I have ranged from 115+ to zero. The variability comes from numerous needs and life events.

I think the bigger question is how much should you be trying to dive to build a body of skill that will get you to a level of competence and move you away from the risk of being a new diver. Again there will be no one answer. Ideally you can get a good mentor into the mix. A dive a month with a good mentor probably beats the heck out of several bad dives a week with buffoons. The most important thing is that you dive with a spirit of continuous improvement. Continue to critically examine your configuration for things like weighting and weight placement. Consciously try to do SOMETHING better on each dive.
The bolded section is so true - Always strive to be better. Even diving with buffoons/bad buddies etc, so long as you can notice the bad things they are doing and make a commitment to your self not to do them, you will become a better diver.

Title says it all. I live up in the Pacific NW (Portland, OR) - a few hours drive from most of the worthwhile dive sites. Is it realistic to expect with work and other commitments to go scuba diving (probably for a weekend trip) every couple of months?

How often do YOU dive? Being new to SCUBA and the community, I am not sure what is considered normal or average for frequency of dives. I am hoping to not become just a "vacation diver".

There is no such thing as "just a vacation diver" ... you have to keep in perspective why we do this. Unless it's a vocation, it's "just" another way to have fun. For some of us it becomes a passion, but circumstances dictate how often you will get to go. I'm fortunate to live a few minutes from a reasonably nice dive site ... one I can go dive at any time of the year, and any time of the day. I have no family or other commitments. I have a job that pays me well enough to provide lots of disposable income. And therefore I generally get in more than 200 dives per year, on average. I'm sitting in the Philippines as I type this, having just done 23 dives in the past six days, with another few days of diving ahead of me before I come home. There are plenty of people on this trip who only dive on vacations ... but there's nothing "just" about them, when you look at those beaming faces at the end of each day.

It doesn't matter how often you dive. It doesn't even matter how continuously you improve. What matters is that (a) you follow your training, (b) know and stay within your limits when choosing dive sites and destinations, (c) leave your ego on shore, and last but not least (d) enjoy the hell out of each moment you're blowing bubbles.

Diving's just a part of all the other activities we cram into our lives. Go when you can. Make the most of every opportunity. But never, ever, put yourself down because somebody else is "better" at it than you. Keep it in perspective ... we do this for fun.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't hate me because I live in the Keys.

Okay, did anyone else think of the old "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" TV commercials?

Personally, I think the answer to the OP's question is that it can be reasonable if he wants to make it happen.

I was certified about 10 years ago and lived south of Chicago. Completed book work in the early winter. Flew to Hawaii for my Open Water Certification. I hate quarry diving, so only dived when an ocean was accessible. Either a 3/2 or 7 mm wet suite for Southern Cali.

I moved from the Midwest to just North or New York, City. I thought that I would dive more... The water last weekend at bottom was 46 F, so I had to buy and learn how to dive with a dry-suit. Even after classes, it was starting all over again for me learning new skills and working out buoyancy. Everyone I dive with is either on re-breathers or doubles. Additional training for staged decompression and technical set-up. New learning curve.

I get roughly 18 dives in a year, but bought a place in Southern Florida. Plan to dive a lot more with warmer water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom