How often does a drysuit leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 200 dives on my DUI Flex50/50 drysuit. I have had 4 wet/damp dives.

1. I stupidly forgot to zip the suit the last 1/2". I felt the trickle and thought I would just tough it out during the dive. I was freezing after about 30 minutes and I had feet full of water. This was my only real flood.
2. While untangling myself from the kelp on the surface, I got a leak down my neck, which covered my chest.
3. The very next dive, which was the first dive on a two week Alaska trip, I got the exact same leak pattern. Fortunately I had a spare neck seal. I zipped it on and was good to go. I cut it one ring smaller than the previous neck seal, and it has been perfect.
4. I had a wrist seal leak. I switched to dry gloves and haven't looked back.

I think the original seals were cut a little too big, which combined with use caused them to stretch until they leaked. Overall, the vast majority of my drysuit dives have been leak-free.

I know it depends on how you take care of it. Every time I see someone with a drysuit they are always fixing a leak or a problem with it. Is it worth it for a drysuit or is it just preference? I am very comfortable with a 14mm wetsuit keeps me warm.

Drysuit leaks:

• Torn seal
    Almost 100% user error when putting suit on or taking off.
  • Degraded seal
    80% lack of maintenance and about 20% normal wear. All seals will eventually need replacement, however maintenance (clean and talc) will extent the seal life from about a year, to two or three or more.
  • Hole in suit/torn seam
    Almost 100% usage problems (sharp rocks, owner to big for suit, etc.) If you don't rub against or sit on sharp things and the suit isn't too small, you'll probably never have this problem.
  • Leaky zipper
    80%/20% again. If you keep your zipper clean and lubed it will last a really long time. If not, it will last a year, maybe two.
  • Leaky exhaust valve
    Need service when dirty
  • Improperly attached inlflator or exhaust valve
    Make sure the valves aren't loose (they screw on)
  • Flooded through intact seal
    Don't crane your neck or flex your wrists and it won't leak.
flots.

I used a crushed neoprene (CF200) for a year and a half before it started leaking....turns out it was the zipper that was going (and completely my fault....I now know better).

Then I got a trilam (TLS350) and the exhaust valve leaks....I'm planning to glue the valve to the suit to eliminate that issue. It's been a very long time since I had a really dry dive.

When one drysuit was in getting a new neck seal installed and pockets sewn/glued on, I managed to rip the wrist seal on the other drysuit, so I decided to dive in a wetsuit. I've come to the conclusion that a damp / somewhat wet drysuit (even if you're pretty much flooding an entire arm) is warmer than a wetsuit....for me, at least. If you're comfortable in your wetsuit, stick with that. Drysuits do require quite a bit more care and maintenance than wetsuits....but I would not go back to diving wet, given the choice (not even tropical).

Should dry suit zips provide a totaly dry seal? I bought my suit new and after using it my t shirt/under garment has a damp patch along the zip line. When i enquired about this I was told it was normal, is this true?

Meh. Once a diver loses optimism and comes to the conclusion that actual drysuits don't actually exist they will be much happier. I'm currently diving a damp suit, I'm humid after a dive to say the least but I can't be bothered to try and fix the holes/leakes. I'd imagine a bit closer to winter and I'll get around to it and have some modest success but it still wont be perfect. Even if your suit is 100% dry your still going to get condensation inside the suit.

Would I ever consider going back to a wetsuit again?

Not a chance in hell!

Should dry suit zips provide a totaly dry seal? I bought my suit new and after using it my t shirt/under garment has a damp patch along the zip line. When i enquired about this I was told it was normal, is this true?

Nah, I don't think thats normal. Mine doesn't leak even a little bit.

No, I don't think it's normal for a zipper to leak. None of mine, on any of the three suits, has leaked.

Every time, if there is a hole.

In my limited experience, if it leaks it needs to be checked by someone with experience repairing Drysuits. If done wrong, they can make the problem worse.

Back
Top Bottom