How safe is freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freediving is a very different sport than scuba...Watch out... you may learn to hate the heavy tanks, goofy wetsuits and silly fins that bubble blowers love.

Being able to spend 3-4 hrs in the water rather than 50 minutes on two scuba divers per day has it's advantages too.

Freediving is a very different sport than scuba...Watch out... you may learn to hate the heavy tanks, goofy wetsuits and silly fins that bubble blowers love.

Being able to spend 3-4 hrs in the water rather than 50 minutes on two scuba divers per day has it's advantages too.

Like caves, I'm hoping that freediving isn't as addictive as everyone says it is :-D

Not sure about the English part, but I'll ask. I assume the right part of France is northern?

More Eastish. Strasbourg would have been perfect :p Wrong river though.

gsk3, you mentioned you're diving in the Seine River? Watch out free diving in dirty water. Entanglement is a free diver's worst nightmare.

NoTanx are in London, just a train ride away from northern France. I did their 15 minute breathing/relaxation session at LIDS, and will probably be taking their intro course in August.

Grew up snorkeldiving, and getting back into it in recent years, even after starting UW-photography, never felt the urge to "graduate" to Scuba. I love the challenge of doing what I do, within the limits of my athletic ability, and you're right, Freediving is a whole different philosophy. To me, the effort involved in every single dive, be it to just look at something close up, or taking a couple of pics, really makes me appreciate the fact, that I'm actually down there, every moment counts, a short, but beautiful visit to a strange environment, over and over again...

I'm considering learning freediving because I think it would improve my in-water comfort on SCUBA and because I can't always drag a bunch of equipment with me around the world. There are risks to every sport, and SCUBA is certainly not as safe as sitting at home wrapped up in pillows, but on SCUBA if you are careful about gas management, use the buddy system, carry appropriate signaling devices, and so forth the risk is quite low.

Is it possible to bring freediving to the same level of risk? That is to say, if you only ever freedive with a buddy using the one-up-one-down system, don't hyperventilate, and so forth, is it possible to bring freediving to the same level of risk as recreational-level SCUBA dives? Or is SWB always a risk no matter how careful you are? And are there other risks other than SWB? DCS doesn't seem to much affect non-competitive freedivers, but what else can cause trouble?

Thanks!

As with any adventurous sport, freediving carries with it inherent risks which can be greatly minimized with Proper Education. SWB or Latent Hypoxia is obviously the main concern, this situation when handled by a properly trained buddy can simply mean an end to that days diving (and a good nights sleep ahead). However, when handled incorrectly by an inexperienced diver can lead to inspiration of water into the lungs thus landing you in hospital in the best case scenario...and, is deadly if the diver is alone.

Every single diver is susceptible to BO, not matter how highly trained, experienced, or avidly safe. Simple situations can influence your physiology and expose you to greater risk of it (dehydration, not enough sleep, stress from work, etc, etc). The simple rule of "1 buddy up, 1 buddy down, watching your diver for 30 seconds before starting your own dive, and never diving alone" is followed even by the best freedivers on every single dive, no matter what.

DCS is a risk to freedivers. Freedivers are more likely to get Type 2 DCS which is obviously more dangerous. Freedivers follow safe diving practices allowing for sufficient surface intervals between dives. This is trained during all reputable freediving courses and it applies to all divers, not only those who dive deep.

There is a long list of other risks, from sinus squeeze and lung edema to vertigo. These must be taken seriously and can be handled properly or even avoided through arming yourself with education.

Anyhow, Yes Freediving can be a safe sport when Proper Freediving Practices are followed. Anyone interested in taking up freediving should complete a minimum of a Basic Freediving Safety Course. These are not expensive, nor time consuming (1 day) - but they will save a life.

Sharing my personal experience, I have Blacked Out 3 times. All of these experiences, where actually enjoyable as I came to within seconds in the arms of my safety diver. I would never ever dive alone, not even to 3 feet and my personal best is 206 feet Without Fins :)

Freediving is a skill based sport, Proper Freediving Education will not only arm you with the important knowledge in Safety and Problem Management, but it will also have you comfortably diving to at least 50-66 feet in a Level 1 course (2 days) quickly eliminating any "Humps".

Niki Roderick, Freediving Instructors International.
FII (Freediving Instructors International)
niki@freedivinginstructors.com

Thanks Niki for an extremely informative and well-reasoned post.

Quantifying risk is always a basis for an argument, but what the heck; this is Scubaboard :wink:

The most insidious risk is “shallow water blackout”, which you can read about here or find some excellent articles on the Web. The best option is to take a freediving course such as Performance Freediving (there are others as well). They are expensive and may be a bit much depending on your interest.

How would you describe your freediving skills now? Are there any experienced freedivers in your area you can dive with? Freediving is one of those skills that is initially unpleasant for many Scuba divers until you get over the “hump”. Unfortunately, getting over the hump is when it can become the most dangerous.

All that said, freediving is one of the very best skills a Scuba diver can have. I took the PFI Intermediate course last year and learned aspects of physiology you can't find in Scuba classes.

Wow, just checked out the PF site and watched some of their videos. Amazing. If I find myself somewhere that freediving/spearfishing is more popular, a course with them is definitely on the to-do list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom