How should a wet suit fit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I ordered and just recieved my 1st wet suit. Its a BARE Artic SGS. I have NEVER worn a wet suit before. According to the sizing chart and the owner of the store with my measurements I should fall perfectly into a XXL. I tried the suit on and I was able to get it on, but I kinda felt like a stuffed sausage. Sorta like someone put shrink wrap around me. I know they are suppose to be snug but are there any rules of thumb to go by when making sure they fit properly? It kinda felt like I was trying to put a suit on that was suction cupped to the floor. I did not get into the water with it by the way. Not sure if they loosen up after worn in the water. The store I bought it at has a policy that if it does not fit they will pay shipping to send the next size. I'm just scared if I go to the next size up it may be too loose. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
David

The first time putting on a wet suit is an interesting experience for everyone, it's an unusual feeling.

The suit should be very snug but not restrictive. You should have full movement of your arms and legs. You should be able to stand erect (as should all homo erectus/sapiens) without experiencing a feeling that the suit is trying to double you over. Your suit should not be pulling too tighly in the crotch area. There should be no very baggy areas in the suit.

The suit will stretch some with use and will compress a bit at depth.

AS for wet suit compression, be ready for a unique experience the first time you dive in your suit.

I have no knowledge of your dive training, but when diving a wet suit of that thickness, you will experience SIGNIFICANT wet suit compression and loss of buoyancy at about 15 feet . . . you'll start sinking like a rock! Be prepared !!!

Your weighting will be another issue that you'll need to redress. A very thick wet suit requires much more weight to get down but, after wet suit compression, will cause you to be somewhat overweighted at depth (compared to diving in temperate waters where minimal exposure protection is required).

Hope it fits good and brings you warmth and joy in your diving.

Thanks for the help. I actually have NO dive experience. I'm doing my open water dives this coming Saturday and Sunday. Water temp is probably going to be low 60's. So when putting on a wet suit should you wet the inside first or just put on dry? Guess I'll have to put it on a few more times and decide on the fit. I felt it was too tight but after going over the sizing chart again, I'm actually at the bottom of the curve for the suit. I'm 240 and the suit fits 235 to 250. and Chest sizes 44 to 47 and I'm 45 and it fits 6'1" to 6'3" and I'm 6' even. Like you said may just take getting used to feeling like a sausage. " I will say though that if looking at yourself in a wet suit does not give you motivation to lose weight, I'm not sure what will!!!!! : ) " And how on earth do you pull the zipper up by yourself? I don't think my arm bends like that!!!

I would put it on dry. Then you will get hot and the cold water will feel refreshing. It shoulld get easier to put on with practice. If it doesn't, it is to small. You can always get a custom suit. i did and it fits great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom