How to anticipate (possible) seasickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering doing a diving trip to Catalina. Some of the websites say, "bring ... and seasickness tablets."

So: I've been boating on pretty large lakes (in some unpleasantly) choppy conditions my whole life without it bothering me, planes don't bother me, nor do roller coasters. But I haven't traveled by boat much in open waters, which I'm told is somewhat different than large lakes (different frequency of the waves)?

I'd hate to medicate just in case; but I don't know if its too late to medicate once you feel seasickness coming on. So I'm basically clueless as to whether I'm really subject to it or not.

Any advice as to what to do?

the motion of a boat in swells can be different than the motion on a lake. I'm really not susceptible to sea sickness, but I always take ginger before a boat ride (even on a cruise ship). It works for a lot of people (for me as well as dramamine), cheap, and no side effects.

ginger?????

Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) once did a show where they looked at various seasickness preventative measures; their results indicated that ginger worked best among the non-chemical/pharmaceutical measures. That said, as someone who has been seasick a number of times in the past I've taken Bonine and Dramamine (12-Hr kind); neither of them led to any discernible side-effects. BTW, although I'm prone to seasickness on open water, aside from a couple bouts of carsickness as a kid, I've not experienced any other kind of motion-sickness in any other circumstance, including on lakes.

Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine works very well and may save the day for you. Once seasickness occurs the only cure is to sit under a tree. You can take the medication the night before and it works just as well.

so I could eat sushi w/ginger & wasabi for breakfast and call it meds?
(if i could just get blue cross to pay for it)

I'm considering doing a diving trip to Catalina. Some of the websites say, "bring ... and seasickness tablets."

So: I've been boating on pretty large lakes (in some unpleasantly) choppy conditions my whole life without it bothering me, planes don't bother me, nor do roller coasters. But I haven't traveled by boat much in open waters, which I'm told is somewhat different than large lakes (different frequency of the waves)?

I'd hate to medicate just in case; but I don't know if its too late to medicate once you feel seasickness coming on. So I'm basically clueless as to whether I'm really subject to it or not.

Any advice as to what to do?

David, if you've never been motion sick doing what you've done in your life or while riding as a passenger in a car on twisty mountain roads, chances are great you won't have to worry about sea sickness on the ferry or dive boat trip over to Catalina . The people I know who are prone to motion sickness, like my wife and several dive friends, have had plenty of experiences that indicate they will have a problem the first time on the ocean.

Now, having said that, don't do anything the night before (wild partying and little sleep) that would give you a sensitive stomach. Heck, even worrying about it can cause a problem.

Take the ginger or dramamine with you if want. If you start feeling bad, pop the medication, get the wind in your face, and watch the distant horizon. Better yet, watch for the dolphins surfing the wake and juveniles jumping like aquarium performers. Watch for whale spouts too. We saw a finback whale on our last trip over to Catalina in mid-May.

My wife and motion sickness prone friends still dive after feeding the fishes. The leeward side of the island where most of the diving is done is pretty calm. If you're shore diving the dive park, you'll have some recovery time before you splash.

Eating bananas help too. They don't do anything for motion sickness but pretty much taste the same whether arriving or departing your mouth.

Have fun!

Eating bananas help too. They don't do anything for motion sickness but pretty much taste the same whether arriving or departing your mouth.

Just don't dare bring them on the boat!

David, why not wait to cross that bridge until you get to it. Given your history, it's a good bet that you'll do OK. If you do get seasick, you'll be miserable, but that's it. It's not like it's dangerous or could lead to serious chronic complications.

You can bring some ginger to settle your stomach if needed, but don't take a preventitive to prevent something that you don't even know is likely. If you do get seasick, you can look into ways to avoid it on subsequent trips.

Just don't dare bring them on the boat!

Some even think that bringing them, ingested, on a boat are bad luck.

I hardly believe that anything could taste the same mixed with the acrid taste of stomach acid!

Back
Top Bottom