How to dive Salt Pier by starting at Jeannie's Glory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just go dive it, what's the worst that is going to happen? Somebody will say something to you as you're gearing up? Dived it twice without a problem, once during the day and once at night, both with no guide. There is no signs, no body said a word, people waved at us from the machinery.

Just got back yesterday (8/25). Yes, we had a guide arranged by Buddys. We were told that it was absolutely forbidden to dive there without a guide. I have no idea what the consequences for getting caught might be. I know last Sep when we were there, we saw Stinapa Guy there talking with a group that just got out of the water. Don't know what the result was. We paid $35 each for five of us for a guide...he did nothing other than be there. Got some good pics of squid and turtles. Lots of small fish, but I would not go back.

Did see and photo a manta at Buddys Reef though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed

Might Buddy's be insisting that you need a guide to sell diving services? As others have said we dove there no problem, the shop we were with, did not indicate a guide was necessary.

Might Buddy's be insisting that you need a guide to sell diving services? As others have said we dove there no problem, the shop we were with, did not indicate a guide was necessary.

Whic shop was that? Everytime I've been there, had to have a guide but of course rumors abound about it being "open" again. How about someone from Bonaire chiming in.

I suspect that the "official" response may be you need a guide. When I go in 2 weeks I plan on trying it without a guide. I really doubt I'll get deported or even fined, maybe just scolded which I'll take.

we didit a couple weeks ago with no problem. the only time we drove by and did not see what looked like divers parked there was when a ship was docking. that would be a bad time.

When we were in Bonaire in 2010 we were informed at the orientation briefing that the Salt Pier was closed to diving. During the week we ran into some STINAPA rangers who said that the site was being given a rest and would be open again in the future. Also, went on to tell us that if we dove it as a swim through from the adjacent sites that no one would stop us.

This January nothing was said about the site during our orientation and other divers were freely diving it. So we did too. We stuck to the parking spot.

Just as an update. Emailed STINAPA a couple of times and got not response. That's really a pet peeve of mine that people don't answer emails. Oh well.

haha...
Write in the email you will consider it a Yes you can dive it unless told otherwise :)

Back
Top Bottom