How to: O2 Clean SP MK2/R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVY21

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

I heard this wasn't overly difficult and wanted to give it a try as my LDS is backed up and a little expensive. Anyone know how to do this? Have detailed instructions? Possibly pictures? Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

You planning on using it for over 40% 02?

Gary D.

It is very easy... Just put the reg parts into pure O2 jar and shake it for 17 min. It is completely O2 cleaned.. Don't mix any other gases. Otherwise, you have to do it again. :wink:

Re-building the regulator is the trick - the O2 cleaning is easy. Since you're only asking about the O2 clean part, then just clean all components thoroughly with a toothbrush and Simple Green which you can get at any grocery store. Rinse well, dry, and re-assemble using only christolube or other O2 safe grease. If using 100% O2, you should also ensure the o-rings are Viton.

Do not use viton O rings for the stem or piston head. These rings have very little resistance to abrasion (dynamic service). The MK 2 is mechanically simple but O rings made of the correct compound are essential to proper functioning. For pure oxygen service it would be necessary to use original SP rings, either those for regular air service or NITROX service. If you wish to venture out on your own, I suggest an EPDM ring for the piston stem and an urethane ring for the piston head, both 70 duro. Either of the above choices is OK for oxygen/regulator service. However, the other comments about cleaning and lubrication are correct and must be followed. Any traces of old grease MUST be removed. Personally, I use Ensolv oxygen approved solvent for cleaning. Others prefer to use a sonic cleaning machine. However, Dawn detergent is OK.

If you are mechanical, go ahead and do it. If not, do not. In any option, no books are necessary for the MK 2. Under option 1, go to deepsouthdivers.org and print out a parts breakdown. There is your guide.

Viton myth doesn't apply anymore except the tank neck. EPDM with a christo-lube works more than enough. Of course, EPDM should be completely O2 cleaned out for the application.

BTW, O2 jar was a kidding... :wink:

Happy New Year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom