How to prevent and/or handle aquatic animal injuries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy smokes. The sea urchin are scary. I am learning that i have to be passive and just an observer with aquatic life.

Holy smokes. The sea urchin are scary. I am learning that i have to be passive and just an observer with aquatic life.

Huh ... I really misread that thread title ... I thought this was going to be about administering first aid to an injured critter!

And yes, namerg, we truly are only observers when we enter the water planet. Our participation, IMHO, ends at observing the residents, and reveling in the feeling of being part of it all.

Last edited:
Are they afraid of flash photography or you have to carry a zoom lens so you don't get that close ?

Are they afraid of flash photography or you have to carry a zoom lens so you don't get that close ?

They? Your chance of encountering aggressive marine life is extremely low, unless you encounter a 3" damsel fish that wants to bounce off your mask, or a titan trigger fish that wants to scallop the tip of your fin. Move slowly, let the animals approach you, and you'll have an amazing experience.

There are three things you can do to protect yourself from the underwater world ... and protect the underwater world from YOU!

1. Buoyancy control.
  2. Buoyancy control.
  3. Buoyancy control.

If you can control where you are in the water column... you'll both be fine.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to dive with them?

They? Your chance of encountering aggressive marine life is extremely low, unless you encounter a 3" damsel fish that wants to bounce off your mask, or a titan trigger fish that wants to scallop the tip of your fin. Move slowly, let the animals approach you, and you'll have an amazing experience.

Clearly you've never been diving with a speared lionfish near Moray eels :D

I'm not trying to be funny but why not just take the jewelry off when you go diving. Not from a "avoid attracting predatory fish" perspective but from "I don't want to lose the jewelry" perspective. It can get caught on something then you lose it to Neptune's locker. I always take my wedding ring off when diving because I'd rather face a curious barracuda than tell my wife I lost my wedding band diving.

Agree with several of the above posts... why wear the jewelry when diving? I don't wear any, even a ring (I'm single but my basketball coach in high school lost a finger when his ring caught on the basket)

Back
Top Bottom