How to proceed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Klopo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently facing a question and would like to hear some opinions.
I recently did the SSI Deco Diver and since then I have been doing dives with around 20 minutes of TTS. I like it a lot and it works well for me. I've also had some oh s*it moments that have been solved underwater and I've learned from them. I am currently diving a 15l mono on a Mares jacket with an 80 cuft stage. Depending on the dive with up to 40% o2. I would like to continue in the coming years, but I don't know in which direction to go. The goal is to dive CCR. But now the question arises, should I first buy a double unit and dive with it for a while until I master it? Or should I continue with my 15l mono and stage until the moment for a rebreather has come? What tips do you have for me and what would you have done in my place?

Personally I'd go for a set of doubles first, it's a relatively cheap and easy way of getting a little longer dive time without changing too much of what you already know.
I can't say much about CCR as I am not trained yet, but from what I've heard it's like learning to dive all over again, rebreathers are a serious piece of tech that needs a lot of time and a LOT of attention.
So unless you already have a few 4 - 6 hour dives planned, I'd say go doubles first

I basically am at the same stage certification wise like you, but I already switch to doubles and I have to say I really like it. What part of Switzerland are you coming from? If you're close I would offer you to test my doubles for a dive

Personally I'd go for a set of doubles first, it's a relatively cheap and easy way of getting a little longer dive time without changing too much of what you already know.
I can't say much about CCR as I am not trained yet, but from what I've heard it's like learning to dive all over again, rebreathers are a serious piece of tech that needs a lot of time and a LOT of attention.
So unless you already have a few 4 - 6 hour dives planned, I'd say go doubles first
Alright seems logical to me, what doubles are you diving now ?

I basically am at the same stage certification wise like you, but I already switch to doubles and I have to say I really like it. What part of Switzerland are you coming from? If you're close I would offer you to test my doubles for a dive
I live in Bad Ragaz, so im diving a lot in Walensee and Zürichsee. Where you based ?

I live in Zug. So Zürichsee or even Walensee would work for me. I have not yet been to Walensee so that could be interesting.
I'm diving double 12l at the moment with an xdeep project NX jacket

I have both 2x10L and 2x12L, the 12s are great as they have a little extra gas in them, but the 10s being shorter mean I have access to the "door handles" on my SMS back plate, giving me more options for stages, otherwise with my 12s I have to have all stages on the DRings on my belt.
Alright seems logical to me, what doubles are you diving now ?

I live in Zug. So Zürichsee or even Walensee would work for me. I have not yet been to Walensee so that could be interesting.
I'm diving double 12l at the moment with an xdeep project NX jacket
What is your standart RT on double 12l ? Do you also take a Stage with you if you dive double 12 ?
I love the Walensee im such a big fan of it, right now the viz is clearing up also pretty good. In Zürichsee i already did the Riff Williams, Kleiner Parkplatz and Halbinsel Au.

I have both 2x10L and 2x12L, the 12s are great as they have a little extra gas in them, but the 10s being shorter mean I have access to the "door handles" on my SMS back plate, giving me more options for stages, otherwise with my 12s I have to have all stages on the DRings on my belt.
What do you mean by door handles ? ATM i dive a Mares Prestige Jacket BCD, so i place my stage on my left chest D-Ring and the left kidney D-Ring. That works right now for me. The only thing im struggling is when i want to detach the stage. For me is difficult to detach the boltsnap on the left kidney D-Ring. But i guess that will be gone if i have some routine in it.

What is your standart RT on double 12l ? Do you also take a Stage with you if you dive double 12 ?
I love the Walensee im such a big fan of it, right now the viz is clearing up also pretty good. In Zürichsee i already did the Riff Williams, Kleiner Parkplatz and Halbinsel Au.
I guess RT mean run time right? If that's what it is you can do really long dives on double 12l. The longest one I did was 75 minutes but I still had plenty of gas left. Yes I still take a stage with me but normally only a 7L stage and mine is right know getting checked so I'm diving without a stage at the moment.
Have never dived Walensee but sounds nice and I would like to try it out. Zürichsee I only did Halbinsel Au. I did most of my dives in lake of Zug or Vierwaldstettersee till now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom