How to sling a 30cf pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you mount a pony on the main tank then:
1)Increased entanglement risk. A line between the pony and main tank could be bad
2)Can not hand off to another diver
3)Where do you attach the reg? Need to be certain which reg is which.
4)Are you going to have an spg? If so where are you going to mount it? If not,how do you know the tank has not leaked away all its gas without you noticing?
5)Need extra hardware to mount it.

None of the above are insurmountable problems,I just don't see any reason to mount a pony on the main tank, but that may be because I'm used to slinging stage/deco tanks.

Perhaps a pair of HP130's would provide the extra gas you are looking for minus all the headaches mentioned above. If you are not solo diving, your buddy(s) would be a resource for emergency gas...

Perhaps a pair of HP130's would provide the extra gas you are looking for minus all the headaches mentioned above. If you are not solo diving, your buddy(s) would be a resource for emergency gas...

+1.
I prefer a good dive buddy.

I Want to carry this pony to have a redundant air supply in case of emergency for my wife and I at depths 80ft and beyond. I like the idea of having it in front of me and able to pass it off but do not know if my BCD will handle it or not. I do have multiple D rings on the from so from what I have read it will. I have never seen a pony bottle slung so I was baffled on how it was done. After watching a few you tubes I think that is the way I would want it. I do have a camera setup I use and wonder how much it would be in the way or do people that use camera's attach it to the main tank so it is out of the way?

As well as weigh a ton, cost $$$ , and be enough gas to get you into hours of deco.

The weight is a trade off - less lead to add and probably better weight placement. The $$$ are real - but Steels are a more manageable tank as they do not go positive at the end of a dive. Uncontrolled Deco is the result of not monitoring your computer - completely avoidable.

I understand your reasoning for a wanting a redundant air source, although if you want to ensure that you both have enough air to return to the surface, while not spending money, while not being an entanglement hazzard and not changing your buoyancy characteristics.....you could always just incorporate "rock bottom" gas planning part of your dive plan.

I understand your reasoning for a wanting a redundant air source, although if you want to ensure that you both have enough air to return to the surface, while not spending money, while not being an entanglement hazzard and not changing your buoyancy characteristics.....you could always just incorporate "rock bottom" gas planning part of your dive plan.

We do not push our limits at all and plan very well for safety. This is just added redundancy for when we go deep and looking for ways to attach it. Not that this means much but we have done everybit of training possible as we are both so called master divers by PADI standards. Just looking to be as safe as possible when we are at depth.

The weight is a trade off - less lead to add and probably better weight placement. The $$$ are real - but Steels are a more manageable tank as they do not go positive at the end of a dive. Uncontrolled Deco is the result of not monitoring your computer - completely avoidable.

Agreed, but , a PAIR of 130's is very negative. That really requires a drysuit. Great for 300 foot dives,but ever so slightly overkill for redundancy on an NDL dive.

Agreed, but , a PAIR of 130's is very negative. That really requires a drysuit. Great for 300 foot dives,but ever so slightly overkill for redundancy on an NDL dive.

Ah - I stand corrected - didn't catch the "pair" in there - agree with your response!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom