How to survive a heart attack underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derwoodwithasherwood

Contributor
Reaction score
I came across the following on the internet. Unfortunately, as with many such things, it was attributed merely to a "prominent cardiologist" without identifying said doctor.

Turns out there really is a doctor involved with this: Dr. Tadeusz Petelenz of the Silesian Medical Academy in Katowice Province of Poland. However his work, while interesting, is controversial. And he may or may not be a cardiologist. Here is the gist of his procedure:

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE -
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.

There is some controversy surrounding this. The article at snopes.com suggests coughing could kill unless the victim is about to pass out. It suggests that in most times the best approach is chewing an aspirin while waiting quietly for an ambulance to arrive.

Since Aspirin gets all soggy underwater, I'm curious to hear from some diving doctors. Could this 'cough CPR' be a valid self-rescue technique while ascending for help?

I too would be interested in this...although I think I already know what the answer will be....

Hummmm I do not know about the cough treatment???? Aspirin--- I carry a small water tight pill bottle in my BC pocket with 4 325mg. aspirins just for divers with heart attack symp.!!

texdiveguy:
Aspirin--- I carry a small water tight pill bottle in my BC pocket with 4 325mg. aspirins just for divers with heart attack symp.!!

Hey Texdiveguy,

You know as a first aider/First responder- it's not advised to give any kind of medicine unless it's the patients and they request it :06:

SF

texdiveguy:
Hummmm I do not know about the cough treatment???? Aspirin--- I carry a small water tight pill bottle in my BC pocket with 4 325mg. aspirins just for divers with heart attack symp.!!

Dose for MI symptoms is 325 mg or more commonly given as 4 81 mg baby asprin. This is per patient. I assume you know this and are carrying 4 full strength asprins in case the first three get wet and ruined or there are 4 patients.

This is not to come across as meaning that a first responder should treat with meds or work outside their protocols.

SF and Joe--- You both are VERY correct in saying as First Resp. we do not give meds. without the patients OK,,,, and of course BEST if it is their aspirin as in this discussion!! I would not in any way go again this protocol for sure. But if the opt. allows for the aspirin to be given I am prepared,,,,,as far as baby aspirin being the method,, 325mp. chewed is the same from a standard asprin or baby to my knowledge??? I would be interested in more info. on this--never have read or heard that. There are few risks involved in aspirin as a treatment (First Aid) for suspected heart attacks....it is a proven way to reduce and curb ill effects of the attack prior to arrival at a medical center. In so many cases the aspirin will off set a full case of cardiac arrest. As EFR trained I would do what ever I could to help the patient, and that includes aspirin treatment with THEIR permission of course.

texdiveguy:
SF and Joe--- You both are VERY correct in saying as First Resp. we do not give meds. without the patients OK,,,, and of course BEST if it is their aspirin as in this discussion!! I would not in any way go again this protocol for sure. But if the opt. allows for the aspirin to be given I am prepared,,,,,as far as baby aspirin being the method,, 325mp. chewed is the same from a standard asprin or baby to my knowledge??? I would be interested in more info. on this--never have read or heard that. There are few risks involved in aspirin as a treatment (First Aid) for suspected heart attacks....it is a proven way to reduce and curb ill effects of the attack prior to arrival at a medical center. In so many cases the aspirin will off set a full case of cardiac arrest. As EFR trained I would do what ever I could to help the patient, and that includes aspirin treatment with THEIR permission of course.

Yep, 325 is 325 no matter how you add it up. The difference is that an adult 325 mg asprin tastes like crap and is harder to get down than 4 baby chewables. I don't know why you haven't heard it before as it's a commom method of delivering the dose. As for the Asprin staving off the full effects of an MI.... The asprin thins the blood and inhibits the ability of the platelets to bind reducing the risk of a thrombosis which allows the blood to continue flowing thereby bringing that vital gas oxygen to the tissues and by doing so holding off some of the damage being done to said tissue (in this case the tissue being the heart).

JPG:
Yep, 325 is 325 no matter how you add it up. The difference is that an adult 325 mg asprin tastes like crap and is harder to get down than 4 baby chewables. I don't know why you haven't heard it before as it's a commom method of delivering the dose. As for the Asprin staving off the full effects of an MI.... The asprin thins the blood and inhibts the ability of the platelets to bind reducing the risk of a thrombosis which allows the blood to continue flowing thereby bringing that vital gas oxygen to the tissues and by doing so holding off some of the damage being done to said tissue (in this case the tissue being the heart).

Joe--- right again about chewed asprin tasting like poop....but had never heard that before , makes some sense!!! Thanks for the medical description on the MI/asprin....never to old to learn.

Yep it's a good way to get the asprin in. I promise that your patient will be very happy not having to chew up an adult asprin.
I think we hijacked this thread so back to the original topic. :D

I'd just like to know how it is that the good Silesian doctor can tell you whether or not you're actually having an MI in the first place unless someone nearby just happened to have an expensive, functioning AED around to accurately diagnose your funky rhythm. The symptoms of "heart attack" can be signs and symptoms of plenty of other ailments and may not be a heart attack at all. My advise: stick to the rescue/first responder basics of ABC's (airway, breathing, circulation), get professional assistance as soon as can be obtained, and if you want to give an aspirin (or 4 baby ASA instead) go ahead and give it/them, but only if the patient can advise you about any allergies he/she might have before doing so and appears to have a functioning swallow reflex. (Remember......first, do no harm.)

Back
Top Bottom