How to tow an unconscious diver 100 yrds in 4 min?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The requirements for PADI's tow (or push) do say "nonstop".

the AI course I took in 1984 the instructor would not allow you to push off for the underwater swim and you were only allowed 2 tries. I don't recall that we were allowed to strip off gear other than dumping the weights (I have never been in a pool where we were allowed to actually dump weight). The tow for this test, since it isn't governed by an instruction program, is pretty much at the discretion of the DM.

Completely agree RJP - but on that basis you'd have to also repeat the exercise in every sea condition that you dive, also when you were a bit tired, a lot tired, a bit cold, etc.....

Allowances have to be made as sometimes the lesson is that you shouldn't even try... I know when I attempted mine it took a damn sight longer than the time allocated the first time but I'm not sure a boat would have done any better as the swell was huge.

"train the way you dive...." is a great catchphrase.
This is for volunteering in an aquarium. The whole point is that you can assist someone to the edge of the tank where help is readily available. We're not talking about a 2 mile rescue in the Atlantic during storm season.

To the OP; do some swimming with your gear in a local pool until you've got the aerobic ability to do the swim in 2 minutes without a victim. Then you'll have plenty of time to do it with a victim in 4 minutes. Whatever that requires from you is what you should do. The rest is just bleating sheep on the internet (me included).

Back
Top Bottom