How were sharks percieved before JAWS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks were known to sailors as 'mindless' devil fish- there are a few accounts of people falling overboard and being set upon by sharks. This was back in the days when there were still fish in the sea though. The average swordfish in the early 1900s was around 300lb- now it is 90lb.

The word 'shark' is thought by some to be an evolution of an old German word for 'villain'. Cousteau referred to them as cowardly animals. During WWI and WWII 'we' became much more aware of sharks because of the way they took out downed military personnel in the Pacific arena.

For the old whalers, sharks were merely a nuisance as they tore in to whale carcasses on route to the factories.

According to the late Ransom Myers 90% of the 25 species of 'big fish' have been removed from the ocean since around 1950 when the post WWII shipping industry kicked off. Sharks were not targeted but were a frequent by-catch numbering many thousands of tons annually. Maldivians (and other artisinal fishermen) used to catch sharks for the liver oil to proof their boats. That has been replaced by synthetics for many decades.

China remains the driving force for shark-finning. It's fairly recent emergence as an economic dandy has seen demand skyrocketing, making sharkfins the most valuable item fished from the sea per weight.

watson-and-the-shark.jpg
This is 'Watson and the Shark'; a painting of a true account of a kid who fell off a boat in a harbour in Havana in 1749 and lost his leg to a shark before they could pull him out.

I started using SCUBA in the winter of 1961-62 but dove in fresh water until I moved to Catalina in 1969. I remember reading a book on sharks as I rode the train from Chicago to Los Angeles. I was definitely fearful of great whites back then and when I bought new gear to dive the West Coast, I purchased the biggest, baddest, meanest Jim Bowie of a dive knife to defend myself against them. Some of my students would fish for blue sharks, gut them and release them until I put a stop to it. Jaws was filmed in part close to my home (ever wonder why giant kelp is present in the waters of the NE?). Certainly things got more intense after the movie was released. I stopped diving after seeing it in 1975 and didn't resume until I watched "Jaws II" several years later!

You might be interested in my little video about why I no longer fear sharks:

[video=youtube;6A0EKDX7DWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6A0EKDX7DWw&list =UUNsNlOpytV0zid_Awi3FChg[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom