How would you handle this situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Instructor you teach ow divers in that situation to submerge and approach the disstressed diver about knee level from behind you surface and inflate your bcd and secure the tank valve of the victim and pull him back on to you (Using your bouyancy to help keep him out of the water) and reach over the sholder to inflate his bcd. I teach this to open water divers in case you are with a diver who panics at the surface and does not respond to repeated requests to in flate his bcd.
Now I have a question. Was he allowed to roll from the dive boat with his bcd empty??

First rule is prevention. Always enter with your bcd inflated.

Ok.
Just…gee whizzies, are there no people out there diving unable to think, remain calm in challenging situations and address their own safety first?
By impulsive do you mean evaluating and accessing the situation and your personal available contributions, quickly, unemotionally and honestly? Or, just jumping in with one arm and leg still in the wetsuit thinking ‘I’m not up for this and have no clue what I can do’?

I keep visualizing a bunch of people standing on a boat looking down at a drowning man saying to each other; ‘It’s a good thing it’s been drummed into me I’m unable to assist anyone. I have the feeling I could do ‘this’ and it’s real hard to just watch those two struggle. But I know better than to help anyone. Hey, if that guy doesn’t have the presence of mind to just do what he’s told, it’s his problem.'

This thread started because of the question of whether a person was OK to not take part in a potential rescue situation that was being handled by someone else; an instructor presumably trained to deal with the problem. No one has said do nothing. Instead numerous suggestions have been made that do not necessarily involve getting in the water. Obviously, if no other help is around you will have to make a decision. But there are simply too many examples on this board and elsewhere of a "rescuer" being killed trying to help a victim to ignore that fact. As has been repeatedly said, the best way not to be in such a position is to get training. Then the thought, "I have the feeling I could do ‘this’ and it’s real hard to just watch those two struggle. But I know better than to help anyone." will be one less concern.

This whole situation stemmed from the fact that the Student did not
disclose a Water Phobia to his instructor.
Had she know about this, the whole situation would have been avoided
and tactics changed to compensate for the condition.

All persons invilved did exactly the right thing.

Good ending to what could have been a bad ending.

The Captain

I agree with the responses especially the comment on taking a GOOD rescue class. It is exceptional training. Can't have enough of that.

First of all i see 2 problems with this, I hatew to point the finger but they both fall back on the instructor she shouldve made sure his bc was inflated all the way before he got in the water and the second one his first openwater dive off a boat is she an idiot if this was done from sure it couldve been easily handled if not prevented

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom