How You Picked Your Upcoming Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cardzard & Netdoc:

I'm glad you guys posted about the Scubaboard Invasion/Surge events. It's an interesting option for many, distinct, and has some real advantages. I've not done either, but these threads may be a resource for others, so let's expand on it a bit.

1.) Traveling with a group is a big advantage for those new to dive travel. My 1st 4 dive trips were to Bonaire with one of my old instructors & a group he led. Some people haven't been outside their home country much (or any) prior to the dive hobby.

That's not unique to Invasion/Surge events, so here's a thread on it - The Next Dive Trip...Is A Group Trip Worth It?

2.) The Invasion/Surge events tend to have sponsors & topside social events; a vendor might be present to let someone try a BP/W for instance, if I understand correctly, and you might win something.

3.) It's a social event among forum members. I believe in a prior thread Cardzard once pointed out that an upcoming event was an event, not just a bunch of divers showing up. In threads anticipating these events, you can see a lot of friendly banter between people who know each other from prior trips.

4.) A lot of info. in collected & packaged in a digestible format to educate people about the destination, resort and trip (e.g.: videos, packing lists). Look at all these threads related to the 2015 Curacao Scubaboard Surge.

For more discussion on Invasion & Surge events, including a list of past events, check out this thread - Next Invasion?

When using Invasion/Surge threads to research destinations, it bears repeating that these events are limited to areas & providers capable of hosting large numbers at once. It's not fair to assume that means Scubaboard has declared that hotel/resort & that dive op. the best on the island in general, although obviously they wouldn't use anybody they didn't think was good, and it seems like participants come back happy.

Richard.

P.S.: This - "Our non diving spouses entertain each other too" - could be a big advantage.

Last edited:
P.S.: This - "Our non diving spouses entertain each other too" - could be a big advantage.

ROFLAO ..... funny you mention this.... not only do they entertain each other many non diving spouses have become life long friend and can't wait for the next event as much as or more than their diving spouse.
Regardless its all about rewarding the SB members without them there would be no ScubaBoard.

Richard you are also correct that many Crew members win prizes at each event. Just take a look at each events sponsors page. They LOVE SB member and support the events just look at the last the
2015 Invasion Sponsors Page

Whether you attend one of the ScubaBoard events is not really the issue the key is to
GET OUT THERE AND DIVE.. the world is full of couch surfers.

It's also good to point out that Invasions and Surges are limited. We have x number of spots. If you want to get in on one, get there early. They often sell out within a few weeks of being opened up.

@drrich2, as for them being the "best", they usually are for at least that week! :D :D :D We have a lot of clout when it comes to getting our way. There's hardly a negative word written about these events because they don't want the bad press. Would you???

Now, about groups traveling together: there's safety in numbers.

I prefer to travel with a group. My dive buddy is my daughter and she prefers a group as well.
You get treated a little better by the locale you are visiting.

This year we are doing LCBR with my LDS and the Surge in January.
I had wanted to do the Curacao event last year but had a schedule conflict.

DD

On the flip side, I enjoy planning and taking trips away from and independent of group travel. Lots of reason. I prefer my diving and vacations on a smaller scale, away from crowds and groups. I also have a wife and two children who dive so I have options for dive company. I have considered the SB trips and might give it a try if I have a spell when I can't dive with family. Seems like a good option particularly if going solo.

As far as when and where, time and money dependent. Have thought about Coz but not a big fan of drift diving. My experiences diving in FL have always been just ok but my experience in FL is limited. Lots of places I would like to try. Just need the time. Direct affordable flights a big plus. Curacao, Belize and Roatan on the wish list. Never have done a LOB and that is on the list as well.

How I picked my upcoming trip: heading to GCM in June for a long weekend. I picked this trip based upon timing, experience with the island and Cayman Airways r/t air with two check in bags for $260.00 from NYC. Haven't seen this fare this low in a long time. Airfare was the driver for this one. Been to GCM many times. I like GCM for a long weekend staying and diving with Oceanfrontiers - Compass Point.

Last edited:
Totally by whim and very changeable along the way. My last trip started vaguely in Thailand when I mentioned it to my buddy but we ended up spending a month in the Mascarenes diving Reunion, Madagascar and Mauritius. Other random trips - woke up annoyed with the wind, so I went to Tahiti which is a 20K kilometre round trip, many random trips to SEA for the same reason (easterly winds annoy me) but I also keep an eye out for LOBs which are doing a route I am interested in. I prefer to travel solo and not in groups unless on a LOB. Taking a buddy with me on my last trip was a first, all my other trips internationally have been solo. Ive enjoyed every one of them. I dont like having a long countdown to a trip and have more than once decided I need to go diving somewhere tomorrow. Not the best way to get a cheap airfare but it suits me. My freedom to go at whim is worth more than a few hundred dollars saving on finding a great deal.

When we first starting vacation diving we chose the next location from a list of places we had not yet been to. This got us to a lot of different islands in the Caribbean and to Hawaii & PNG.

This approach worked well for a handful of years until we sat back and decided that too many of our trips had been much less enjoyable than others. It all came down to dive freedom, low effort and night dives. We hate group diving (NO mandatory DM!) & I am pretty lazy so I want at least 60 minute dives and I want a night dive every day.

Then all of our trips became one of: Bonaire, T&C Explorer or Belize Dancer (with the Saba Explorer tossed in every 5 years or so).

This year we decided to break the routine of the past 15 years as we now have a little more personal time available. So it is
#1) Bonaire (already done)
#2) T&C Explorer (next week!)
#3) return to CocoView AND try a following week on Utilla

Our third trip will bend & break our preferred rules. BUT: we have agreed that we can just sleep in & and read a few books for the second week if the diving operation is not to our liking. The initial week at CocoView should have given us our regular scuba hit. The second week is gravy.

If I can figure out the night dive stuff, then Curacao may percolate towards the top of the future list...

I guess our choice of diving destinations is governed by our local diving. We are very lucky to have sea excellent life and reefs, although the vis can be iffy at times.

My wife and I tend to look for off the beaten track destinations that are more challenging - somewhere suitable for newer divers isn't our thing. We also prefer trips where if a guide is required, then the guide dives with you rather than leading and you having to follow blindly.

Begin based in Dubai means Asia is a natural destination. I have looked at the SB Surges but the travel distance and cost has relegated them - I'd be more likely to spend that money on another trip to Raja Ampat :)

Generally we're liveboard people but a recent trip to Misool may have converted me. As long as I can get 3 dives a day on fab sites, in great company I'm happy. generally teh farther off the beaten track then the better the who visit.

Komodo, Bali, Maldives are all easy for us although I'd like to try the Caribbean once at least if only to see what all the fuss is about :)

Komodo, Bali, Maldives are all easy for us although I'd like to try the Caribbean once at least if only to see what all the fuss is about :)

The fuss is that many of us in the states can leave our house early am and be at a caribbean location in time for an afternoon dive. The reality is that we generally don't dive that afternoon but can get a lot of our to do list cleared that first day (grocery run, liquor store run, etc) and then be ready for a full week of what ever you want.

If we go to Cozumel, we can be there in time for lunch. That is a big deal for those that don't care for travel to begin with..

The diving is good enough, but it won't touch the places you mentioned in SE Asia.

I like groups. The LDS has some good trips.

With that in mind, it is good to go the first time with a group. Someone who has already been there and knows the tricks like which line to get in upon arrival or the process of departure. The next time you go there you have the lay of the land and have an idea of how to get around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom