HP 119 or 130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflipp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any opinions on a HP 119 vs. a 130? Looks like the 130 is only 1.5" taller and weighs about a pound more.

I dive a HP120 great but a little tall. I am 5'10". I was looking for another one but, I am thinking doubles now (Edit: Don't tell my wife).

Good luck on your decision.

I had the same dilemma, moving up from 80's and I went with 130's and am so glad I did. The price difference is minimal, and 10 cubic ft extra is no weight difference (2 lbs?). Never have to woory if I should have bought a larger tank. If I eventually double them up, 260 ft is better than 240. Size wise, I haven't noticed anything awkward, like some people have commented on. The extra inches haven't mattered. I'm 5'10".

Good Luck!

A little bigger tank that weighs a little more and is a little taller is the way to go . . . provided you don't have any challenges such as bad back, bad knees, short torso, or just plain don't need a bigger tank because you already have to call your dives due to your buddies being low on air before you.

I have a couple of the LP 108s (same as your 130) and love them. I'm 5'10", 175 lbs. and in great shape. Some of my buddies are much happier with their LP 95s (same as your 119). They are shorter or have trouble carrying an extra 5 lbs. to the water's edge or just don't want bigger tanks to load into the trunk.

To partially contradict what I already wrote, we often will swap tanks with each other when it is convenient for some reason or other and none of us really notices any appreciable difference.

So don't sweat over a few extra breaths that the bigger tank holds. Pick one, dive it, enjoy it.

Have fun,

theskull

I've been diving an HP120 for about a decade, and was so looking forward to PST's proposed HP149. Too bad that product got canned... I could have dived all day on one!

If you have a good SAC rate and exercise good gas management, I fail to see why any diver needs anything more than these tanks unless they are doing tech diving. On the other hand, with twin HP120's I really could dive all day.

I dove with 120's all last summer and thought they were a bit long (messed up my trim a tad I'm 5'11") I tried then bought a 119 and LOVE it! I have another one coming shortly..and I'm looking forward to using them a lot this summer!

Thanks for all the replies. I currently dive an LP95 and don't really notice the weight difference between that and my AL80. I think I'll go with the 130.

The another factor to consider is a length as well as a weight. If you aren't a big enough, 119 is also good option. I have both. 119s is much easier to handle...

I have dived both, and prefer the 119's. I am 5' 8", and the 130's make me a bit "tail heavy" in the water. If I were a few inches taller, I would definitely prefer the 130's.

drbill:
I've been diving an HP120 for about a decade, and was so looking forward to PST's proposed HP149. Too bad that product got canned... I could have dived all day on one!

If you have a good SAC rate and exercise good gas management, I fail to see why any diver needs anything more than these tanks unless they are doing tech diving. On the other hand, with twin HP120's I really could dive all day.
Hey, Doc, Faber makes an HP149. Just sayin'. :wink:

On sale at TDL for $363: http://tdl.divebiz.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_101053&products_id=101337

As for HP119 vs. HP130, I bought the 119 and have been very happy with it. It's the exact same height as your standard issue HP100. I'm 6'3", 185#, average shape. The HP130 is noticeably more expensive. That said, considering the minimal differences in specs (if not cost), I would probably get the HP130 if I was doing it over. Not because I really need it, but more... why not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom