HP 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafcheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan on getting my first tanks before too long and stumbled across a HP 119 the cost is about 25-30 bucks cheaper than a HP 120 from the one place I compared prices. I was originally looking for prices on 100 cuft tanks, but it seems to me that this would be a good size (air capacity wise). If it is filled to the full pressure you have lots of air. But if it only can get filled to 2600 or 3000 psi were you are at or you just get short changed you still get (if my math is correct) ~80-100 cu. ft of air. Given my SAC rate I am in no danger of hitting the decompression limit using an 80cuft tank. Does anyone think this would be wise choice? I haven't checked to see if it would fit my BC yet.:popcorn:

My primary singles tanks are 119's and I absolutely love them. They trim out quite nicely (5'8" and 180#).

Should not be an issue for your BC to acommodate them.

They don't bump you butt!!!

the K

I got the same height and weight. Do they fit boat racks or would i need to bring some straps? The ones I saw I wrote down they are 8 inch tanks (the X8's).

I have a HP 120 and a couple of LP 120s. The HP fits in the rack just fine. The LP tanks have a little more diameter and can either be snug or don't fit in some racks.

BTW, I really like my 120s. Plenty of air and, as The Kraken mentioned, trim out very nicely. You should be able to get a good fill just about anywhere. It's best to leave them with the shop overnight so they can cool down and the shop can top them off at full pressure.

Your right Krafcheck, the HP 119's have a diameter of 8". I have not seen this being a storage problem on any of the boats I've been on. If you are going to be taking one tank on a boat, and renting an AL80 for the second dive, you maight want to consider the HP100 or HP 120. The X7's have a tank diameter of 7.25" (the same as an AL80) I personally am a little tired of adjusting my tank bands every time I swap tanks. The HP119 and Hp 100 are roughly the same height, but the 119 is roughly 9lbs heaver empty. Both lengths should be suitable for your height, the HP120 might be a little long for you, it's about five inches taller than the other two. I'm thinking about getting the HP100 as it's tank diameter is the same as the AL80, the weight is very comperable, and I can quit adjusting my cam bands. Good luck with your decision. Check out TECHDIVINGLIMITED.COM

I got the same height and weight. Do they fit boat racks or would i need to bring some straps? The ones I saw I wrote down they are 8 inch tanks (the X8's).

I have X8-119s and really like them. They're short (24") and I like the trim I get with them. They don't fit in the holes on boat racks, but with a bungee they easily stay in place.

Steve

The 119's are heavier than the 120's. I am relatively short and the 119's trim out great. The 120's are too long for me to carry them by the valve, which is a real pain when you need to move two tanks.

If you like them as single tanks, you'll LOVE them as doubles!

:D

Now we also own several HP 100's. They're great tanks as well. Trim out nicely, are 7.25" in diameter, as mentioned above, and make excellent doubles, if you're interested in diving doubles.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom