HP Tanks and Tumbling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Knight

Contributor
Reaction score
I am noticing that my HP Steel 100 tank (3442 psi) seems to need to be tumbled quicker/more frequently than my Faber LP Steel 95 (2645 psi)? My buddy needed both of his tumbled after six years of service and my two tanks at four. My LDS tells me that they notice the HP tanks needing it done more often--that much more air under that much more pressure kind of thing. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

It's those damn conservationist wanting 20-30% more of your cash so you can't fish/hunt!!
j/k :p

they shouldent need to be done any more then nessacary. if it is just flash rust inside you can try a tank whip to get it off the sides and blow it out with some air, or whip it and than tumble the tank with water and joy dish soap only to gather the residue and dump it out, then dry the inside fast and throughly

they make some flash rust prohibitar to help with the problem, or if you do tumble, they have dryers you can make or buy that will blow them dry with forced air and/ or heat to dry them nicely.

if you were to 02 clean, now that is a different story. but just for a normal tumbling question, only tumble when needed. i have not seen where high or low pressure makes a difference. just how they were inside from the last cleaning, or the moisture content of the places you have your tanks filled at have in the air.

I would suggest that the moisture in your fills is the most likely culprit. After they have been tumbled, they should not need it again if the air is dry. Moisture = rust.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom