Humbolt Squid on Discovery channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainmanpaul

Reaction score
Anyone see the discovery channel show "Killer Squid" that was on last night. Very interesting creature. It caught my eye since we had the recent squid beaching a few days ago. The show was taped down in the Sea of Cortez. Long story short these things are excelent hunters and will try to eat anything that looks alive. Including krill, fish, scuba divers, each other, video equipment, local fisherman that fall out of the boat, etc...
Oh, and they get HUGE!
Has anybody around here seen a humbolt squid under water that is bigger than 2 to 3 feet? The ones in the show were up to 6 feet plus.
duhmp duhmp duhmp duhmp duhmp duhmp......ARRRGGGHHH!
sorry, wrong movie.

I TiVo'd the episode. I'll have to go back and watch the whole thing tonight. I only caught the end of it. Pretty erie dives they're doing down there.

I saw the first half and then went to bed. Amazing squid! I just ordered a DVD from the BBC called Blue Planet: The Deep about all the deep sea creepy crawleys. I may just spend the next year on the beach after seeing all this stuff. :11: (And then again maybe not!) I stayed out of the water for years after seeing Jaws when I was a kid. :jaws:

mempilot:
I TiVo'd the episode. I'll have to go back and watch the whole thing tonight. I only caught the end of it. Pretty erie dives they're doing down there.
They have flouresenct skin that they will flash on and off. Put that on a 6 foot squid times a few hundred or so in the water and erie just doesn't seem to do it justice. The show is definately worth a look.

Blue Planet: The Deep was really cool. I TiVo'd that one as well. Gotta love that hard drive for the tv!

mempilot:
Blue Planet: The Deep was really cool. I TiVo'd that one as well. Gotta love that hard drive for the tv!

There's something about creatures that live that deep, create their own light and feed on anything they can find that just fascinates me. It seems the weirdest animals are the ones that are out of our reach.

Did you see the weird worms feeding on the dead whale carcass at 6000'. It took them, hagfish, and sixgill sharks over 18 months to consume the flesh. Where did all those animals come from? It looked like the moon prior to the whale sinking there.

Wild. Truly a different world.

mempilot:
Did you see the weird worms feeding on the dead whale carcass at 6000'. It took them, hagfish, and sixgill sharks over 18 months to consume the flesh. Where did all those animals come from? It looked like the moon prior to the whale sinking there.

Wild. Truly a different world.

I just ordered it yesterday so I won't have it for a week or so. I've seen some other shows similar to this. I assume with so little oxygen the flesh would decay very slowly which allows more time for the whale buffet. :redbite:
I'm off work now so I'm outta here!

They are not so far out of your reach. I know of a Giant Humboldt Squid Tour starting in March in the Sea of Cortez. It sounds facinating!

Dominique:
They are not so far out of your reach. I know of a Giant Humboldt Squid Tour starting in March in the Sea of Cortez. It sounds facinating!

That would be amazing and nerve wracking at the same time I think. If one of those decided to take you deep there is nothing you could do to stop it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom