Humbolt Squid story...true or false?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humboldts are still on my list to dive with. I was signed up to dive with Scott in 2009 in Baja for them but then all the trips were canceled. Recent reports have the squid in Baja being seen as smaller then a few years ago. Most likely due to the heavy fishing being done in Baja for them.

I believe the story you are talking about happened a few years ago near San Diego... I saw it on the news... they said the female diver was with a group night diving and the humbolt attached to her 1st stage and drug her down... apparently they are attracted to shiny objects

Anyone remember the news footage from a year or two ago, when a bunch of Humboldt squid washed ashore in La Jolla? People were picking up the squid and putting them back in water deep enough for the squid to swim. I watched those videos, and wondered if the people picking up the squid had ever paid attention to the Humboldt's biology and reputation. The squid have a lot of reports of aggression, and the tentacles don't just have the sucker disks - they have claws along their length. Even if the washed-ashore squid isn't being aggressive, if it decides to grab on in a defensive attitude, it can do some nasty damage to exposed or barely protected skin. Pick one up, and hold it where it could whip a tentacle around and grab me? No thank you. I don't particularly want to bet my skin on the squid remaining passive.

If nothing else, nature has demonstrated time and again that wild animals are not absolutely predictable. You could study thousands of examples of a particular species, and think you have a well-established pattern of behaviours, and then have one animal show up and do something completely different. (Wasn't that about what Cousteau said in his book about sharks? Every time they thought they had observed an absolute behaviour pattern, along would come a shark that would prove they weren't so dependable...)

I believe the story you are talking about happened a few years ago near San Diego... I saw it on the news... they said the female diver was with a group night diving and the humbolt attached to her 1st stage and drug her down... apparently they are attracted to shiny objects

Anyone remember the news footage from a year or two ago, when a bunch of Humboldt squid washed ashore in La Jolla?

:shocked2:

My plan to do night dives at La Jolla Shores this summer during squid season: SCRATCHED

:shocked2:

My plan to do night dives at La Jolla Shores this summer during squid season: SCRATCHED

You can still dive in La Jolla during squid season. The squid that we dive with then are market squid that max out in length at less than a foot. It is still very rare for a diver to run into a humboldt during a dive.

I read an article recently that said that the habitat range and the numbers of these squid were both limited by their natural enemies--large sharks and toothed whales. Because we have hunted their predators to near extinction, they are multiplying rapidly moving to areas where they have never lived before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom