Hurricane Isadore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hiya!
We were there from the 18th to the 25th. Got in one day of diving, then the port was "closed" for the next six days. Found some great places: Coconuts and the No Name Bar. Next trip in January, then moving there permanently within a year. Dive with Scuba Shack, and they have great rates on room/dive packages!
Jeff G.

diverjeff once bubbled...
Hiya!
We were there from the 18th to the 25th. Got in one day of diving, then the port was "closed" for the next six days. Found some great places: Coconuts and the No Name Bar. Next trip in January, then moving there permanently within a year. Dive with Scuba Shack, and they have great rates on room/dive packages!
Jeff G.

Sorry to hear that Coz got hit so hard by Isadore. This is probably the last report you'll receive of that storm.

Here in Canada, we are just getting it this morning. 35-45 knot winds, torrential rain. It's supposed to start clearing tonight though.

We were scheduled to go look for a new wreck today. One of our group has been researching it for over a year. Oh well, won't be the last time we get blown out.

Diverjeff,
Love the Scuba Shack...they do have great rates. I'm also interested in moving there. But not going to be able to do that for a few years yet. Are you buying property there? I've heard it's really hard if your an American. Would love to get some info from you on moving there.
Thanks,
Kat

Kat once bubbled...
Diverjeff,
Love the Scuba Shack...they do have great rates. I'm also interested in moving there. But not going to be able to do that for a few years yet. Are you buying property there? I've heard it's really hard if your an American. Would love to get some info from you on moving there.
Thanks,
Kat

Kat,

If you are planning on buying a business there, it's no problem. Or if you already have a job lined up. Or, if you're independantly wealthy.
I was looking at buying a restaurant in Playa del Carmen in 1999. The people I was going to buy from are also Canadians, from Toronto. They owned two restaurants, and a house.

I was going to buy a house after I got settled in with the business. I can't see that there'd be much difference for an American buying there or a Canadian.

I hope I've been some help. I don't have the e-mail address for the people I was dealing with in Playa. But if you can't find anyone else to give you the info you require, let me know and I'll see if my ex-wife still has their e-mail and phone #.

See you on the bottom,
Al.

We were in Cozumel 9/19 through 9/24 at Scuba Club Cozumel. Good diving through 9/20. Monday 9/23, we got in an early morning shore dive, and ours was the only dive boat allowed out that morning. I'm told that the navy actually stopped the boat that tried to follow ours out. 2-4 foot seas as we went out, but by the time we came up from our first tank in the reduced viz, seas were 8-10 ft.

I wasn't as enchanted with the island as some of the others on Scubaboard -- maybe because I'm such a lightweight when I drink that going out drinking for me usually doesn't last too long -- but what we did see of the diving early in the trip was spectacular. The staff at the resort took great care of us despite the storm and the threat it was posing to their own homes. We'll be going back... but probably not in September again!

Back
Top Bottom