Hurricane Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathleen, thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware that DR has this part as a DR item (e.g. with a DR part number). This is great for people who want to move to the primary using the under-the-right-arm routing with the bungeed backup.

John

I have another question about this. If I use a bungeed backup, is the 40" long enough for share air? I am not cave or wreck diving at this time. I have thought about going to a DIR style setup(it just makes sense to me) with a 50 or 60 inch hose, but I would want to test them to find the right length. I'm 5'7" and I think 70 inches is too long for regular open water dives I do.

Tanks again for all your help.

B.

Hi B,

If you are thinking of moving toward tech diving, then your key concern will be redundancy of all gear, which does not work when diving a single tank. The purpose of the long hose is to allow your buddy to breath off of your tanks, while staying within a horizontal orientation, along a line in a cave. The out of air buddy in front, the donating buddy behind (hence the need for a long hose). Over the years, the length of that hose has varied from 11 feet to 7 feet to 5 feet. A lot of that depends on your size, your buddy and your dive environment. DIR advocates a 7 foot hose because of a belief in gear matching among a team - everyone in the team must wear the exact same equipment so that gear can be shared and is understood between all team members.

For open water diving, you can safely share air with a standard 40-inch hose because your dive orientation in the water is not as critical as it is inside a silty cave or wreck. The only time I found a long hose useful with a single tank in open water is when I worked as a Dive Master and found myself donating my primary reg on a long hose to an low-on-air diver and putting him above me on the boat down line to do a safety stop. It wasn't imperative, but definitely more comfortable. I used a five foot hose on my primary and tucked the excess in my waist belt.

As for DIR-style of set up, you would not find a true "DIR: single tank set up. It can be confusing, but DIR is simply a term to describe one school of training philosophy within the technical realm. DIR emphasizes teamwork, environmental awareness, simple gear configuration and a strong emphasis on dive technique. DIR is strictly a technical philosophy (at least to those who invented it...it has become widely skewed by the masses) and hence, you would not have a single tank DIR set up because there is no redundancy with a single tank.

DIR was born out of a need to dive safely and effectively with large teams (i.e. WKPP project). Everyone on the team needed to be "on the same" page, so that underwater communication, gear matching (in case of failure), dive technique, etc. must be highly synchronized. Interestingly enough, the guys who began the DIR philosophy in the early 90's were students of our company founder and CEO and his dive mates. So we get a good tickle, when we read about DIR because Dive Rite has been around long before DIR and it's fun to see the evolution where DIR has become synonymous with "tech diving". Kinda like Kleenex?!

Anyway, with DIR there is a strong emphasis on conservatism and safety, however this has also been blown out of proportion by folks who do not understand the true basis of DIR. You will find many people talking about "failure points" because this is a great way to influence divers to choose a certain style of gear and/or dive philosophy. If you tell everyone that diving any way but YOUR way may lead to failure and death, it becomes a handy marketing tactic. Most GUE guys do not spout this "failure point" jargon, again...it has become a great scare tactic to challenge someone when they choose to dive a slightly different gear configuration than you.

The DIR philosophy is a very good one, however it is but one of many good training philosophies and a highly skilled tech diver will have studied all philosophies and made his own mind as to which works best for him/her. In fact, a culmination of different training is imperative to some technical dive missions.

Sorry to take a bit of a tangent, but I thought you might find the DIR background interesting, especially if you are thinking of going tech.

Best,
Kathleen

I have another question about this. If I use a bungeed backup, is the 40" long enough for share air? I am not cave or wreck diving at this time. I have thought about going to a DIR style setup(it just makes sense to me) with a 50 or 60 inch hose, but I would want to test them to find the right length. I'm 5'7" and I think 70 inches is too long for regular open water dives I do.
40" on a 90° swivel elbow (which DiveRite now sells!) is perfect for routing the primary under your right arm with a bungeed backup for a single tank rig. My buddy and I used this exact configuration for about a year. It works, and IMO its far better than the standard primary and octo configuration most of us learned in OW class. Now, depending on who you ask (really, this seems to go back to how long they've been DIR because some of the guidelines seem to have changed over time), it may or may not be DIR anymore to use the 90° swivel elbow on a 40" hose for open water diving. The problem is that to be really comfortable (i.e. not have the hose constantly pulled at annoying angle) you are going want the 90° swivel elbow. Donating the primary on a 40" does work in an OW environment but does require a little practice. I'd bet if you went and checked right now you'd find the hose for your current octo is shorter than 40". My advice for right now is to not get too caught up if its DIR or not, the real value is in transitioning to donating your primary with the bungeed backup.

Yes, the other options would be either the 5'/60" or 7'/84" primary wrapped around the right side of your chest over your left shoulder, behind your neck and to your mouth from your right hand side (note: behind your neck not around your neck). This is the long hose configuration for tech diving, and its not as cumbersome as it looks at first but it requires actual practice getting used to deploying it. The seven footer works best for BP/W users, its either routed under the battery pack for your expensive canister light on your right hip, or is tucked into your BP/W harness at that location (a Dalton knife harness also works for some people). Tucking sounds kludgey but in reality works very well for single tank divers who don't carry the expensive HID lights. The five footer doesn't have any extra length to tuck or route, so it just goes under your right arm before going over your left shoulder and behind your neck and around. This works well for some people, and is really the only option for people who dive with BCDs (which don't have a real harness) instead of a BP/W configuration. Yes, there seems to be some discrepancy as to whether the five footer is DIR for single-tank OW dives or whether everyone should go immediately to the seven footer. Again, don't worry about getting too caught up in all that just yet.

Now, if you are still with me... I'll say it again, the important thing here is the bungeed backup and donating the primary. If you take a DIR-F/GUE-F class you'll learn about s-drills and modified s-drills which is simply practicing the air share technique. The primary on a 40" is a bit less than ideal in my experience of doing s-drills if you are trying to keep your trim in check (i.e. stay horizontal instead of going slightly vertical). That's the only downside IRL and is why I only use it occasionally and for the most simple OW dives these days.

But if it were me doing it over again, I would still start with the 40" and a 22" bungeed backup and wait until I was ready for a DIR-F/GUE-F class or had a good mentor before going to the long hose since its really something that's you'll want to have demonstrated for you. From there I would go directly to a seven footer (unless you don't have a BP/W yet and then you'll need the five footer).

If you are really interested in learning about DIR (without all the drama), I highly recommend the book Dress for Success - By Dan MacKay (GUE.com) and the video Essentials of DIR (Amazon.com) to get a better feel for how the system goes together.

John

Thanks for the info John,

I am aware of DIR and the philosophy. I am definitely not at a point where I want to do GUE-F yet, but maybe in the future. I was just saying that the hose routing makes sense to me, more so than the standard OW setup. I do understand that it does take practice, as does any new type of setup. But the 40" w/ an elbow as both of you are suggesting sounds good as well adn more streamline.

I'm not concerned about being "DIR compliant" at this time. If I do decide to do Fundies and more tech training that direction, I will then insure that I am compliant. Just looking at the alternative hose routing options and I think I am going to take your advice and try this setup and practice with it.
I'm at work writing this fast so I hope it made sense! :wink:

Thank you both for all the help!

Buck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom