I always thought this was a myth about Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
FOUR SAVED BY DOLPHINS

Dolphins have saved a group of swimmers in New Zealand from being attacked by a great white shark.

The four were herded together by the pod of dolphins who then flapped their tails on the water to warn off the shark.

The unusual incident happened when lifeguard Rob Howes took his 15-year-old daughter Niccy and two of her friends swimming near the town of Whangarei.

Mr Howes told his local paper, The Northern Advocate, that the dolphins "started to herd us up, they pushed all four of us together by doing tight circles around us."

When he tried to break away from the group, two of the bigger mammals moved him back.

He then realised what they were doing: a 10-foot great white was cruising toward them.

"It was only about six feet away from me, the water was crystal clear and it was as clear as the nose on my face," said Mr Howes.

Another lifeguard, Matt Fleet, on patrol in a lifeboat, saw the dolphins circling the swimmers and slapping their tails on the water to keep them in place.

He also had a clear sighting of the shark.

"Some of the people later on the beach tried to tell me it was just another dolphin but I knew what I saw," Mr Fleet told the paper.

Ingrid Visser, who has been studying marine mammals for 14 years, told the newspaper that there had been several reports dolphins protecting swimmers.

She said the dolphins probably sensed the humans were in danger and took action to protect them.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91055-1161020,00.html

This type of behaviour has been documented for centuries.
Gives ya a kind of warm, fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

You're a very, very disturbed man, Al . . .

Back in the late 70's in the Caribbean, off the south coast of Hispaniola, my buddy and I were trying out the new Nikonos camera. After we ran out of film my buddy was carrying it by the strap, and a very large bottle nose just took it from him by swimming in from behind.
They (dolphins) started playing with the camera, dropping it and catching it before it hit the sand. This went on for about two or three minutes fairly close to us. After a while, they just swam away with the camera. We were sure we'd lost it. About 20 minutes later as we were almost ready to surface we heard the dolphins again and looked up. There were four or five, and one of them had the camera. They swam around a few times and dropped the camera two feet from us!
That was one of my favorite dives of all time.... Interacting with such incredible creatures.
Happy Diving,
Pedro
BTW I just reached a milestone this weekend....... 1000 logged dives!

they are typical kiwi dolphins.

most kiwis display this kind of benevolaent behavior, it is part of their nature..

Back
Top Bottom