I always thought this was a myth about Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl:
Maybe the dolphins were starting a new business enterprise - "Human petting areas, swim with the humans.." but it flopped after the humans kept on getting eaten.
:rofl:

yeah i know its a nice gushy feeling to feel that dolphins are compassionate, but I wonder how much of that is just evolutionary psychology.

That is really sad.

Such a sad ending for a greatful rescue.

That is so awful. A person who can chop up a dolphin for damaging his net is likely just as capable of shooting a neighbor's dog for crapping on his lawn, and probably even scarier behavior.

We used to have amazing interactions with dolphins during summer charters on the Little Bahama Bank. We'd swim for hours with pods of Atlantic Spotted Dolphins. We weren't feeding them or enticing them in any way. It was magical because they decided to play with us and swam off whenever they felt like it. We were there so much they got to recognize us (the crew) and we'd have to do a lot of freediving to keep them entertained while our guests mostly floated on the surface. They rarely let the guests get close to them but they'd let us touch them and sometimes they'd play rough and knock our masks off.

I often got the feeling that the dolphins thought we were some kind of feeble marine mammal because we couldn't keep up with them. We'd be playing hard, spinning, diving, splashing and with a nearly imperceptible move they'd zip ahead by 20', then they'd look back and realize we couldn't keep up so they'd swing around and get shoulder to shoulder with us again and drag us along.

We once put the guests in with a big tiger shark because one of the crew saw a fin and got everybody to jump in. Oops.

Justin699:
yeah i know its a nice gushy feeling to feel that dolphins are compassionate, but I wonder how much of that is just evolutionary psychology.
Yah, their behavior was the same as they use towards their own young. A struggling human's actions approximate those of a newborn dolphin trying to reach the surface.

but... some old Navy divers say that after they croak they're reborn as dolphins... :eyebrow:
sad end to the story though.

Not all dolphins are nice. There's a flock around Scotland that kill their little porpoise cousins out of spite... at least as far as can be determined.

rather... also, both rape and assault have been documented performed by dolphins
(on other dolphins)

nevertheless, that was a terrible end for any creature, to die like that. pisses me
off.

Back
Top Bottom