I am having a heck of time getting weighted right!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterlily7255

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone

I am new to scuba-have 21 dives underneath my belt, however still having a heck of time getting weighted right. It seems to come so easy to everyone else!!! I have to say on my open water dives and advance open water last year I did not have a BC that fit me correctly and tight so the tank with go over to my side and I soon found myself sideways-OOPS!! However I did and got throught it!! I seem to have such a hard time getting weighted right in freshwater. I did go to Mexico over the Holiday and dove the ocean....Loved It!!!! I was weighted right - got my bouyancy down- and just loved it!!! What am I doing wrong in freshwater....help me!!!!! :confused:

Do you have your own gear or are you renting? If so are you using the same set up every time? Your instructor should have made sure you were properly weighted and trimmed out for your checkout dives. If he/she did not you got shortchanged on your training.

I have a new class that just started scuba this weekend in the pool. We spent the first hour working on weighting and buoyancy control. We started by doing all basic skills(mask, weightbelt, reg recovery) in a horizontal position. Granted they had their fin tips on the pool ledge between the deep and shallow end but they were in a horizontal position. The last half hour was spent swimming around after getting neutral and making sure that they were correctly using the inflator. By the end of this pool session we had also removed and replaced the BC.

We will be working on trim, weighting, and skills horizontally every session.

Why don't you come by and visit Indian Valley Scuba in South County, St Louis - we'll get that whole weighting thing straightened out in a heartbeat! Every dive going forward will be so much more rewarding.

Dave

JimLap: We will be working on trim, weighting, and skills horizontally every session.

Every instructor should do this. Over and over and over again. After AOW I thought that it was over with these skills but when I started with tech it all started again. Now at every dive I do I practise mask clearing and I get weighted again.

Thanks

I will do that! You know I really struggled with the open and advanced open water! The instructors did bouyancy checks prior to diving, I really think it was the BC I was wearing because it was way too big on me! I have since gotten a new BC, infact whole new equipment! I dove the ocean with the new equipment and did quite well! I gotta get better in the freshwater. I will definitely look you up!

Back
Top Bottom