I am REALLY looking forward to "Blue Planet"...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no not over The Blue Planet -- rather the lack of. Although advertised, when I went to the Discovery Channel, I got programming on Extinction of Prehistoric beasts... good but not what I wanted.

I'm hoping it has something to do with the scheduling of the show in Canada vs the USA.

I had to travel to Little Rock for the week for work - I made sure I got to my hotel room by 7:00 central time so I wouldn't miss it, but....

The hotel doesn't have the discovery channel....ARRRHHHGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it will come on again next week sometime.

DSDD

You didn't miss much if you did not watch it. I expected alot more I guess, I have seen better shows on Discovery on the ocean secrets,etc...
=-)

I was sort of disappointed too. Some of the footage in the first hour was repeats of some previous shows....at least I could swear I've seen them somewhere!

The section about the really wierd fish and creatures from the deep was a huge disappointment. I thought we would be seeing them in at least part of their natural environment. All we got was a collage of images scrolling across the screen. One fish was finning and breathing so fast it made me think the photo was taken in the collection tube just before the stress of being brought to the surface so fast killed it. I wonder how many of those creatures didn't survive?

I'll watch the rest of the shows but not with the same expectations. Just like with the Mastadon show last year, it will be repeated over and over...the first parts were on twice last night.

Like I was saying before - Discovery has done some really great things and then they have done some things that outrage me. I remember seeing that show extreme contact where they found this jewfish under a part of a wreck - on the show they said the jewfish attacked Mannie, but if you look close he puts his hand inside it's mouth and then through its gills - the poor fish was just trying to get away!

How can the makers of that show get away with attacking an animal that is under protection?! BAH...

Mostly though, I am always impressed by the discovery networks.

FYI
Blue Planet is being re-broadcast on Friday night, Feb 1 2002,on the Discovery Channel:

7:00 PM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Ocean World
8:00 PM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Frozen Seas
9:00 PM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Open Ocean
10:00 PM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Deep

And again repeated:
11:00 PM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Ocean World
12:00 AM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Frozen Seas
1:00 AM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Open Ocean
2:00 AM Blue Planet: Seas of Life - Deep

... then the next four are scheduled to air sometime in May

(at least that's the schedule for the USA -- it's not listed as showing here)

I get back to knoxville friday afternoon - been working and drinking too much this week, so I definitly need something to keep me at home :wink:

Later!

Thanks. I've been on a mountain "camping" trip for a week with 30 of my students. The lodge has a computer, but no television. We're really roughing it! We return Friday, so I look forward to watching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom