I bought a Nikon D90. What lense do y'all recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have great buoyancy, you won't get good images and you may end up doing harm to the very environment that you are trying to photograph.
I would agree with the 10-17mm fisheye as an excellent WA lens but you have to get close to your subject.
Another option is a 60mm macro lens by Nikon. Remember on your camera that is really 90mm.
1) It is less expensive. 2) It is a great fish portrait lens and also a great macro lens (you will have to get closer than with the 105mm for really small stuff). 3) You can always add a 1.4 Tele Converter for more working distance. 4) On bad vis. days you will have less "snow" in your shots compared to the same magnification with a 105mm. (Less water column between you and the subject.)
Add a 3-5+ set of diopters and you can do some nice super macro shots.
Whatever you do, take the housing EMPTY for a check out dive before adding the camera.

Last edited:
I got a 60mm nikkor, aquatica housing. To much negativity and haters in this thread, but thank you guys for the few positive remarks. I'll be sure to not exceed 60' for a while until i get use to it.

Hi Ameri180304,

Unfortunately when you do ask a question or advice on a forum you might get suggestions or comments which you might find negative.

Sometimes these negative comments/suggestions are not what you want to hear. But its basically advice from those people that have been in a similar situation like yourself.

Regards Mark

Well always take forum advice with a grain of salt.
In general most people mean well. UW photographers get painted with a broad brush and in general are not looked upon favorably on dive boats etc. That is because to many are pushy and can be seen taking pictures in total disregard for their surroundings.
When you show up with that "big camera" you will immediately have a bulls-eye on your back.
BTW I think you made a great choice on your housing and lens for starters. Please take the time to pressure test your new housing.
Enjoy.

I got a 60mm nikkor, aquatica housing. To much negativity and haters in this thread, but thank you guys for the few positive remarks. I'll be sure to not exceed 60' for a while until i get use to it.

That should be a great setup, I'm envious!

To put this in a positive way, it is in your interest to be very comfortable with using it while diving. It would be a good idea to try out your setup in a swimming pool, with some objects like colorful toys or coins to focus on. That way you can be sure everything is working, and gain familiarity with all the controls on the camera. Practice until you are completely sure how to shoot photos. More practice topside is a good idea. With all the other things you have to remember when diving, you don't need confusion about the camera.

The negative comments were well intended, if a little strong sometimes. Many of us have had dive incidents where the camera was damaged or lost, or the diver injured, and we don't want that bad experience to happen to you. It really is a turnoff to diving if you have a bad experience, so take sensible precautions as others have suggested. Maybe it's a little off topic, but diving with a camera is a little like driving while trying to use a cell phone -- doing something that demands full attention for safety reasons, then adding a distraction. It adds risk, so do it cautiously and listen to the advice of those who have done it a lot.

For instance, be sure how to maintain buoyancy while taking a photo. Dive with a buddy who is patient with the delays we photographers cause while setting up a shot. There are Padi Courses in Buoyancy Control and in Underwater Photography too, if you really want some professional training.

It's a lot of fun taking great photos underwater so you can share your dive experience with others and remember the day. With the right training and knowledge, you will have a fantastic experience.

My suggestion would be this, pick and choose when you take your rig down. I do tend to agree with the theory, that concentrating on boyancy and learning about your conditions, concentrating on the simple things you need to become a good diver could be scuppered, when your lumping around a camera rig etc.

But that doesnt mean you shouldnt use it, I would suggest picking when to take it under, if the dive is shallow, the weather good, youve got a good buddy and dive guide, etc etc etc, then take it down, if it looks like a hairy dive then think twice, better to be safe than sorry, and dont forget about your buddy and what they might like to do (we can be fairly sellfish as photographers).

Finally really think about your dive plan, with the rig you have, going on a slow, shallow dive is really what you want, if the dive is going to be full on current or charging around the site, then you wont get to do what you want, as a top underwater photographer in the uk once said to me "are you a diver who wants to take shots; or are you a photographer that likes to dive?" The two things are very very different.

I just got certified a few months back, and sold my D3000 since it had no video for the Nikon D90 (D7000 is what I want, but far to overpriced on , lol). Anyhow, I bought a tele lens for personal use (50-250mm) but obviously dont plan on using this underwater. What lenses are recommended?

Would the standard lens that comes with due well (18-55mm AF-S)?

Still deciding on what housing to buy (ikelite, or aquatica). I dont like the clear stuff, but price is best..

Thanks.

Dont get a good camera and short change yourself with a blah lens. Get the 17-55 f2.8. This would be a good general bread and butter lens that covers from wide angle to tele (don't forget the 1.5x factor) both above and under water. The wide constant wide aperture will be a joy to use when you see other photographers struggling with f5.6 :wink:

Dont get a good camera and short change yourself with a blah lens. Get the 17-55 f2.8. This would be a good general bread and butter lens that covers from wide angle to tele (don't forget the 1.5x factor) both above and under water. The wide constant wide aperture will be a joy to use when you see other photographers struggling with f5.6 :wink:

I would have to disagree with going for the Nikon 17-55 f2.8.

1. Its an expensive lenes at $1250+. You can buy something like the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikon 60mm for the same money

2. 17mm isnt that wide for underwater work

3. The lens is phyiscally large and will not fit into Ikelite ports if you decide to buy an Ikelite System

4. Have a f2.8 lens underwater really isnt an issue unless your shooting sunjects in ambient light. Most people are shooting with strobes for underwater work anyway.

If you looking at something as a general purpose have you thought about the Tokina 10-17mm with a 1.4 teleconverter. Great for CFWA and you can use it behind a 4 inch mini dome.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom