I continue to read a LOT of bad comments about BARE drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg Brown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site. I am looking for a new drysuit, however, I have one specific requirement, and that is high visibility colors, as I am not only a WA cold water SCUBA diver, but I also swim out my crab pots on the surface (pots on my dive buoy) and drop them into the bay. But in the summer, there are a LOT of very stupid boaters who clearly have little experience and even less sense... I had many less than 100 foot near passes, including two within 20 feet of me at speed, last summer - one of whom drove between me and the shore! I have an airhorn I blow at them - of course. My current drysuit is blue and black, and I have had various comments, including "I thought you were a crab pot" and "I thought you were a seal". The real question is, why the heck are you boating so close to anything, let alone possible ropes and living beings? I do not know any crab pots or seals that blow air horns! So, I have chosen to go with a bright red upper on the front and back top, or full red suite. Hazmat suites can be very expensive, but I have come across the BARE HDC and X-Mission series (see image, below), which have an option of a red top section. However, I continue to read REALLY bad comments about BARE, their horrendous customer service, and new BARE drysuits delaminating quickly, and pockets pealing off, etc... I see far more complaints about them, than compliments! Seems like a Non-lemon for them is an exception!

I need feedback about this company and their drysuits please, thank you. Have they resolved these problems - really, or not? Or, if you have other suggestions for a reasonably priced reliable drysuit that would fit the bill, I am open to looking. I have found a few "lesser known" companies with red topped (all around) drysuits... I am not interested in just shoulders having color, or only the front, as it was when my back was turned that one of the boats came within 20 feet of me at about 25-30 mph! And yes, I have my head constantly on a swivel, except when I am pulling u the crab pots from my dive buoy! Thus the use of the airhorn!

I do know I can customize a suit, but I asked High Tide, and they said they could only put a strip of red across the back, but that is not enough for my secondary purpose. I have already ordered a fluorescent hood for this purpose too - but I am worried about the "thought you were a buoy" idiots!

By the way, yes I do very well with this crabbing technique! And, it is a great workout.

Thank you very much, Greg.

2015-03-14-3.jpg

We have Bare drysuits in our rental fleet and they appear to be holding up well.
I can think of a number of manufactures that have a red on their drysuits.
Santi, DUI (they'll make it any color you want), Aqualung Fusion and Otter to name a few off the top of my head.

With a bc on, sticking 8" out of the water, how much more visible do you think you will be?
How about a tall SMB.

Scott,

Thank you for your comment. I have seen the Auqualung Fusion now, and did not know DUI would make it to any color. I will check the others. So, may I ask, how long have your had your BARE drysuits in your fleet, and how often have you had to send them in for repairs, and how was the experience?

Sincerely, Greg.

We have Bare drysuits in our rental fleet and they appear to be holding up well.
I can think of a number of manufactures that have a red on their drysuits.
Santi, DUI (they'll make it any color you want), Aqualung Fusion and Otter to name a few off the top of my head.

Thanks for the reply!

For me, it is a matter of visibility now, as then there is NO excuse of approaching me in a boat at speed at any time, especially when I am blowing an airhorn! The blue/black drysuit I currently have, I will accept as being too hard to see. I have a 5.5 foot tall dive flag pole on my inner tube dive buoy, with BOTH the US and Internal dive flags on it, an airhorn to blow and the law which states boats must stay at least 150 feet away from anyone in the water - none of which have been understood and/or noticed and/or obeyed by these weekend boaters! I suspect an SMB, which is about what 4 feet, is not going to be any more clear, but I could try it.

So, I have two choices, quit doing it, which I plan not to do, as I have as much right to be there as anyone, or increase my visibility to the point where there is NO excuse on my side any more. I plan to talk to the local Marina and ask if I can post a sign with examples of people and dive flags. I have contacted the local Sherrif's Department, and the US Coast Guard, who has supposedly gone to the local marina and talked to them about the rules, and lack of understanding the rules, let alone common sense!

We will see what happens.

Thank you.

With a bc on, sticking 8" out of the water, how much more visible do you think you will be?
How about a tall SMB.

I believe they are on year 2.
They are not the X mission or HDC model, they are trilam pro, IIRC.

Coztick does make a good point about an SMB. Much cheaper than a few grand on a new drysuit

Get a cheap waterproof camera and snap pics of the boat registration when it occurs. Turn over to the Sheriff Department and report the incidents. Fines seem to be the best method to teach boaters the rules that they should have had for the Boaters License that is required by all boaters in WA state.

Florescent hood is probably the best idea. In the end it is impossible to fix stupid.

Last edited:
The problem is, already have a 5.5 foot tall buoy flag with both US and International Flags on it, and that is not enough already! Let alone the airhorn! But thanks!

My drysuit has been leaking for over a year already anyway, as it is delaminating, after having lived a previous life as a rental suit.

Thanks!

I believe they are on year 2.
They are not the X mission or HDC model, they are trilam pro, IIRC.

Coztick does make a good point about an SMB. Much cheaper than a few grand on a new drysuit

I started not only putting a camera on my deck to video what happens, but often wear a GoPro camera too! A cheap waterproof camera is a good idea!

Thanks!

Get a cheap waterproof camera and snap pics of the boat registration when it occurs. Turn over to the Sheriff Department and report the incidents. Fines seem to be the best method to teach boaters the rules that they should have had for the Boaters License that is required by all boaters in WA state.

Florescent hood is probably the best idea. In the end it is impossible to fix stupid.

Greg, If you decide to go with a Whites/Aqualung Fusion, I have a brand new (1 dive) Red Fusion Skin in the Large/XL size. Not sure if they continue to make this or not, but as you research the Whites/Aqualung brand, you will see that the "skins" are interchangeable and velcro onto the drysuit. I bought it thinking it was 2/3XL. I am a big fan of the Whites drysuit. Many years of diving with it in the PNW and now down in So Cal. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom