I could have caused a dive last night :11:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m the variable unit last night and decide to take a run around Fernan Lake. You remember that little 400 acre lake in town.

As I get to the end of the lake I see some bodies around a vehicle back in the bushes. So I get to a wide spot, turn around and go back to see what they were up to.

As soon as I get turned around they run like their butts and the car was on fire. I was over 45mph on the snow and ice and they pulled away from me like I was standing still.

So I go around one corner and shut down the lights and just drive out looking to see if they went through the ice.

What I did see was they spent as much time sideways as they did going straight. I went back later to find several Keystone beer cans that were nice and fresh. I can only suspect that it was some half poop faced kids not wanting an MIP and they risked their lives to get away.

The road runs along the north side and we started from the small light spot about an inch from the right end of the lake.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=11&X=325&Y=3299&W=1

Gary D.

Ahhhh Cold beer... running kids... fear of the law...feels like 16 again....

You'll probably run across them another time...

Our PD got tired of people out driving them so they bought dodge chargers. on the back in red painting...it says "ya, its got a hemi"

maybe this would work for you next time. good luck with the funding

Jorbar1551:
Our PD got tired of people out driving them so they bought dodge chargers. on the back in red painting...it says "ya, its got a hemi"

maybe this would work for you next time. good luck with the funding

My car is plenty fast and not much will leave it. I could have caught them but it was just too dangerous on that winding icy road. Had I stayed with them I may have pushed them hard enough to have gone into the lake. That road is vertical bank on one side, a paved narrow two lane roadway and then water. No shoulder if you screw the pooch.

Here is a pic of an operation a bunch of years ago.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/38618/cat/500/ppuser/2714

Not a pursuit road at all dry or covered with snow and ice. Best to just let them go and wait to meet up later. :D

Gary D.

Wow, it looks like you could get some real air if you launched off that road into the drink.

Something about this thread reminds me of an old CW McCall song.

Gary,

I noticed that you get a lot of calls and an unasuming person would think that your county/area of responsibility wouldnt have as many rescue/body recovery dives as a an area where i live (the SF bay area). at least that i hear of anyway.

do you have any idea where the highest number of incidents occur?

Jordan

Good call Gary. It's hard to hide in a small town.

Back
Top Bottom