I did something stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stackingreasyBBs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, the other day when rinsing my gear I had a momentary brain fart and soaked the first stage in the dunk tank...minus a cap. It's a DIN first stage, a fairly new Poseidon XStream. Usually I put my thumb over the inlet and swish it a few times, and things are fine. So, how screwed am I? Think it needs to be rebuilt? Damn momentary lapses in concentration. :newbie:

Personally I would leave the cap off and let it air out a couple of days... but that's not necessarily a good idea. Might want to drop the first stage off at the shop so they can take a look inside and make sure it's dry.

stackingreasyBBs:
So, the other day when rinsing my gear I had a momentary brain fart and soaked the first stage in the dunk tank...minus a cap. It's a DIN first stage, a fairly new Poseidon XStream. Usually I put my thumb over the inlet and swish it a few times, and things are fine. So, how screwed am I? Think it needs to be rebuilt? Damn momentary lapses in concentration. :newbie:

On the way back, they toss their regs into a fresh water rinse. I don't get that. I always leave mine charged and on the tank when I dunk / rinse it, then blow the water out of the second stage by purging the rig.

I'm not a tech or anything, but is there a reason, when this happens, not to charge and purge it to assure the water gets blown out? Or will that just blow water (fresh water, mind you) INTO the first stage?

Thanks

---
Ken

stackingreasyBBs:

As long as it was fresh water dont panic about it. I do it all the time. If you are really worried then you can get your LDS to pull the first stage apart and make sure it's ok.
I'm not a service Tech for Poseidon but I am for Atomics, Sherwood, Apollo..and a few others.

Mo2vation:
I'm not a tech or anything, but is there a reason, when this happens, not to charge and purge it to assure the water gets blown out? Or will that just blow water (fresh water, mind you) INTO the first stage?
Yep you can do that as long as it was only clean(ish) fresh water.

Don't you have a DIN plug for the rinsing. Anyway blow it out with air and have a LDS check for moisture. Keep an eye on the filter to make sure it doesnt turn green and clog if appplicable. Mistakes happen and it't not the first time this has happened to a diver.

I did actually put it on a tank and purge it a few times. Breathed both my second stages, and they seemed fine. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks all.

Oh, and no, I don't have a DIN plug, the reg came with a dust cap, but it's not threaded or anything, it just slides over the threads, so it's not like it prevent water from getting past.

stackingreasyBBs:
Oh, and no, I don't have a DIN plug, the reg came with a dust cap, but it's not threaded or anything, it just slides over the threads, so it's not like it prevent water from getting past.
They're about 5 bucks at any LDS...cheap insurance.

xSandman3:
They're about 5 bucks at any LDS...cheap insurance.
I never trust those. capping it keeps any water that got in while diving in there; which there shouldn't be; by design. So why makeshift a method to keep water out when you can just use the method designed for it, like Mo2vation stated, and leave it on the tank to rinse?

Back
Top Bottom