I Don't Care WHO is on the DEMA BOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis

Reaction score
There is no doubt that this deep recession in the general economy, and an apparently deeper one in the scuba industry, has many people afraid. Scuba equipment manufacturers, importers, training agencies, instructors, travel providers, and local scuba stores are afraid that the industry they love is in trouble. Many fear for the viability of their living and all of their investment in this industry. It is human nature to attempt to assuage fear by taking action and creating some sort of change. The current petition asking for changes in the DEMA organization is very likely just such an attempt.

If you are in the scuba industry, you naturally hold out some hope that DEMA will chart a path that will result in changes to improve the health of your industry. After all, aside from individual business interests, DEMA manages the only industry-wide efforts to advance interest in scuba diving. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A DEMA MEMBER, a presence and vested interest in the scuba industry causes you to look toward DEMA for answers to difficult problems and for guidance through extremely difficult times. I know that retailers view DEMA less as a member-driven trade association and more as a industry-wide strategic management force. For the dive industry, DEMA can be important. The mission can be important.

I signed the petition because I thought it might spur a little urgency in the organization and might cause an adjustment in the mission. I personally would like to see our industry organization embark on some more inventive marketing programs that drive non-divers into the local scuba stores. If this were to happen, all in the industry would benefit.

Personally, I don't care who sits on the DEMA Board of Directors. I am comfortable with any group of industry leaders serving. I don't believe that any board member has ill intent and I don't believe that they are collectively taking steps designed to hurt the industry. I do feel that they may have become too enthralled in gigantic marketing efforts and that they may lack an ability to measure the progress of those efforts. The unified scuba industry petition is a good way to spur action in an organization that is viewed as having become complacent in their efforts. I hope this is the outcome and I hope this call to action results in a reevaluation of current efforts.

Beyond efforts to "change" the rules and bylaws of the DEMA organization, I look forward to a specific agenda from those who believe they can better chart the path of the organization. I look forward to the details of the efforts to redirect the power of this industry organization.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

If one reads the DEMA ByLaws, its obvious that the division of power has been a contentious problem since inception of the Association.

How about making DEMA about the Manufacturers. Wasn't that what DEMA was originally for? Why are there retail dive shop owners on the Board? Why are there magazine editors on the Board? Why is there travel people on the Board? Diving Equipment and Manufacturers was the term when I first started going to DEMA and when DEMA was most sucessful. The problem as I see it is that we need to different groups. The original DEMA group concept and a Dive Industry concept. Combining the two hasn't worked for the past 10 years in my opinion and it won't work in the next 10 years.

I would agree that having DEMA go back to manufacturers might be a good idea. As a marketing organization, they don't appear to have accomplished much, but spending some time on these boards here I can see why. Everyone disagrees about the direction of the industry as a whole, which is why I'm almost of the mindset that the survivors will innovate and lead and the people who just want to complain will go away.

I would agree that having DEMA go back to manufacturers might be a good idea. As a marketing organization, they don't appear to have accomplished much, but spending some time on these boards here I can see why. Everyone disagrees about the direction of the industry as a whole, which is why I'm almost of the mindset that the survivors will innovate and lead and the people who just want to complain will go away.

Exactly! The problem is that many of the same people who spew the venom at DEMA and say what a screwed up organization it is, still attend DEMA and spend money on booth space and organizational fees. That's like giving a kid an ice cream cone after beating the turds out of his little brother. I remember being told every year how we had to go to DEMA every year if we wanted to stay relevent. The last couple of years we went, ending with Houston, I just kept asking myself, "Why in the hell are we here?" The parties were great and it was fun going to the keggers in the travel section, but as far as being a place to sell gear, that ship had sailed. We had our second best year in our history last year. Moral of the story? Manufacturers don't need DEMA. We just wish it was an organization that had our best interests in mind like it used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom