i found a free source of air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our cascade system can fill 4500 PSI tanks with no problem, and a fitting to connect the SCBA fill lines to SCUBA is only like $30.
An FD compressor should be giving the same grade of air as an LDS system.
We dont like breathing bad air either

My info, my FD, and me, too.

talked to a friend on the fd at the next town over. he said thay have the adapters and fill scuba tanks all the time. he will fill them for me for free. might have to check thier setup out.

Very few will pump to 3000 psi, I think they bank at 2200 or so. This is what happens when they fill our tanks for Diveheart. I assumed it was for the SCBA requirements.

not much help for tanks that have a pressure rating of 3442 PSI:(

My local fd banks at 6000 too.

The FD I fill at banks at 6000, but still use tanks at 2200. They should have the air quaility checked, so look at the report, and pay attention to they hydrocarbon levels if you are filling O2 cleaned tanks.

Air that is fine to breath at 1 ATA can be really bad for you when breathing it at depth due to increasing concentrations for any contaminants.

-Many FDs use a containment system for filling, which is a container that protects staff in case the cylinder explodes during the filling process. Often a standard aluminum 80 will fit in these containment systems, but other scuba cylinders won't. An AL100 probabaly won't fit. Free ain't free if your cylinders won't fit in their containment system.

-Ask for a copy of their compressor air analysis. If they balk, send them a written request using the Freedom of Information Act format. Make sure that their air meets scuba breathing air requirements, especially if you're using steel cylinders.

-Fitting adapters are available through scuba compressor vendors such as Northeast Scuba Supply.

An AL 100 will fit most containment systems, if you take the boot off. Alot of compressors have "remote" outlet that takes a fill whip for filling truck mounted cascade systems, get youself a short whip with a DIN fitting and you are in buisness for doubles.

Just my opinion, but dropping a FOI request is a great way to get the compressor report, AND lose your free fills. They are doing you a favor, try not to piss them off. Sounds like you have an "in" at the FD, he can find a air quality report, if one has not been done, then don't fill there. Chances the FD is not supposed to be filling your tanks, so try to keep it on the down low and not jam the guy doing your fills for you.

talked to the closest dive shop to me today. he charges 12$per fill...YIKES if i drive down to fill me 3 tanks that is going to put me out 40 dollars or so including gas in the truck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom