I have a wonderful wife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
This weekend we tried to dive from my 13’ Boston Whaler in Lake Huron. The only difference was this time, we took my wife to tend the boat while we were under water. Well…., we just left the safety of the harbor when the waves started to really hit. My wife turned very pale and I started to have second thoughts. I know we could safely get out and back, but getting back into the boat, after the dive, would be a real pain (like, last time). But I decided to wait for some bigger waves to hit and my wife’s polite request to “GO BACK”. Now, my wife has never been out on my small boat before and I think the smallest boat she has been out on before this was a ferry boat. So, her reactions were understandable and I feel restrained under the circumstances.

So…., saving my male pride (I was scared too) I decided to accede to my wife’s wishes and turn the boat around. But as soon I turned the boat around she started saying you (meaning me) need a bigger boat, repeatedly. When we got back into harbor she started looking at the boats docked there with “For Sale” signs and she insisted on taking a look at them.

We are now “considering” shopping for a larger boat. Personally, I’m not sure it is worth the financial investment, I’m cheap, but my wife is serious. Below is my criteria for purchasing a boat, it is not in any particular order. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

1. Boat is to be a good/excellent condition used boat. I just can not see buying new, when there are so many used boats for sale.

2. Boat is to be of suitable size to handle Lake Huron. I believe this means a deep “V” bottom and a length of at least 18 feet.

3. If we do purchase a boat I want it to be something that I can share with my wife. That means it has to be equipped with a bed, galley and bathroom. We could then take it on vacations just cruising around the Great Lakes, she has often expressed such a desire. I know this means a larger boat, but I don’t know how much larger.

4. Earliest we could purchase a boat would be this fall, probably looking at a purchase time frame of one year from October.

5. I would need to improve my watercraft handling skills. Any idea where in Michigan, I could take some courses?

6. Diesel or gasoline engine?

7. Again, I am cheap. What do you think is the price range for such an initial investment?

Again, any thoughts most appreciated.

Tom

Fishy8411:
2. Boat is to be of suitable size to handle Lake Huron. I believe this means a deep “V” bottom and a length of at least 18 feet.

Just curious...I agree that bigger is better, but wonder how you went from "13 feet long is generally okay" (as I infer from your present boat being seemingly okay until your wife rode in it)
to "needs to be at least 18 feet"?

heh

Fishy8411:
This weekend we tried to dive from my 13’ Boston Whaler in Lake Huron. The only difference was this time, we took my wife to tend the boat while we were under water. Well…., we just left the safety of the harbor when the waves started to really hit. My wife turned very pale and I started to have second thoughts. I know we could safely get out and back, but getting back into the boat, after the dive, would be a real pain (like, last time). But I decided to wait for some bigger waves to hit and my wife’s polite request to “GO BACK”. Now, my wife has never been out on my small boat before and I think the smallest boat she has been out on before this was a ferry boat. So, her reactions were understandable and I feel restrained under the circumstances.

So…., saving my male pride (I was scared too) I decided to accede to my wife’s wishes and turn the boat around. But as soon I turned the boat around she started saying you (meaning me) need a bigger boat, repeatedly. When we got back into harbor she started looking at the boats docked there with “For Sale” signs and she insisted on taking a look at them.

We are now “considering” shopping for a larger boat. Personally, I’m not sure it is worth the financial investment, I’m cheap, but my wife is serious. Below is my criteria for purchasing a boat, it is not in any particular order. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

1. Boat is to be a good/excellent condition used boat. I just can not see buying new, when there are so many used boats for sale.

>>>I feel this way with cars but not with boats. A brand new boat with a 5 year engine warranty and 10 year hull warranty gives a bit of piece of mind. I own a 19' boat with a cuddy cabin and the extended warranty has already been paid for in repairs. This also gives you a few years to learn how to do repairs yourself. If you do buy used - you MUST get it inspected by a professional boat inspector. This will cost about $350 p/boat. They will tell you what is wrong with it and what you can expect for needed repairs out of the gate.

>>>I use my 19' v-hull boat with cuddy cabin and stand up canvas cockpit enclosure on the ocean in Massachusetts. I would not want to be on anything smaller - not a chance.

3. If we do purchase a boat I want it to be something that I can share with my wife. That means it has to be equipped with a bed, galley and bathroom. We could then take it on vacations just cruising around the Great Lakes, she has often expressed such a desire. I know this means a larger boat, but I don’t know how much larger.

>>>This is the money shot here. The difference in price between a 19' boat and a 22' or 24' boat is about $25,000. 22' will get you a comfortable cabin for sleeping/lounging and it will get you an enclosed head. If you want sink, microwave, and gas stove you are probably looking at a 24' boat which is about $5000 more than the 22' boat.

4. Earliest we could purchase a boat would be this fall, probably looking at a purchase time frame of one year from October.

>>Best deals are found in winter depending upon where you are located. If you are in an area where the demand never really diminishes you will probably not have many discounts available.

5. I would need to improve my watercraft handling skills. Any idea where in Michigan, I could take some courses?

>>The Coast Guard Aux. offers courses all over the country. This is a great idea to learn as well as to get a discount on your boaters insurance.

6. Diesel or gasoline engine?

>>>Diesel engines last longer than gas. I don't know much more about it than that. I have a gas engine (I/O).

7. Again, I am cheap. What do you think is the price range for such an initial investment?

>>>Unfortunately more than you think but you have options. I would suggest you buy brand new if you are relatively new to boating. I bought my boat brand new in 2000. I compared several manufacturers and found Bayliner to be the best bang for your buck. Exact same engines, outdrives, and warranty as other brand names which cost approx. $5000 more for the same boat. I was really sold on their space engineering.

Other costs to consider:

Mooring or slip costs
Boat insurance
Trailer and boat storage during the winter unless you have the space to keep it at home
Prep - you need GPS, life jackets, VHF radio, rope, depth gauge, (several USCG requirements for safety gear), maps, vehicle that can tow it (unless you store at marina), dinghy or shuttle service if you choose a mooring, harbor permits if you moor, etc., etc., etc.

I love owning a boat because of the many great benefits and experiences. It costs a lot (even for a small boat) and it takes a lot of work. You have to really love it but if you do it will be worth it.

Again, any thoughts most appreciated.

Tom

My replies are marked above with >>>

We spent a lot of years cruising up and down Lake Huron and IMO 18' is way too small; ok to run out for some fishing or diving but not for vacation! That Lake can kick up in a hurry!

If you want your wife to feel safe and be happy I wouldn't consider anything less than 24'. You can still trailer it to almost anywhere so you can forget about slip fees, except on vacation.

Take a power Squdron or Coast Guard Aux. couse.

My question is -you only have ONE boat? (grin, wink) 18 ftr is right on the edge - I say 22- 24' (at least!) if you want her comfortable. Don't sell the Whaler! Min. at least a 150 hp for a boat that size. I'm sold on outboards - 4 stroke, had inboard-outboards..., don't want no more. Def something you can trailer. Keep in mind the bigger the boat, the bigger the costs - repairs, storage area - REPAIRS. I agree, unless it's a great deal, I would never by a new boat...my last two have been new, but got a helluva deal.

I have only one comment.

Does she have a sister that is single?

W

(Sorry)

My wife "made" me by my big boat too (24 ft), don't you just love them.

A lot depends on weather you intend to tow or dock. If you are towing then anything over about 18 ft is going to require a REAL tow truck, a 4wd pickup or something like a Suburban. No imports or 2wd or light weight SUV wannabe's will do the job. And No Jeep does not make a Real tow truck. Docking cost a bit more but considering the cost of a tow vehicle, it's worth it (I just put mine in dry dock after 8 year of towing it only 5 miles, best decision I ever made). My dock fee is $130 a month, it's going to take a lot of years to offset the $25-30,000 (used) cost of a tow vehicle. Anything less than 24 ft is not super comfortable to live on so and even at 24ft a "galley" is most like a grill and a sink. The head will be a porta-poty at that size range. So, to get what you want, looks like 30 ft or better would be the way to go. In any case, if you go with a bigger boat 25 or more, diesel is the only way to go. Diesels use about 25 to 50 % less fuel and diesel is a lot cheaper (around here marine gas is around $2.25 and diesel is in the $1.00 range and using 50 to 100 gallons is not uncommon), not to mention safer. Diesel fumes do not explode. Yea, they cost more but are easier to maintain and the operation cost adds up very quickly.
As an alternative, have you considered just renting a boat or charter one? I know the per trip price is high but when you average it out over the year, it's a lot cheaper and maintance is his problem, not yours.

Do you really, really want a boat.....there is a reason there are alot of them for sale :)

I want to thank everyone for their replies and advice.

Tom

In response to:

scubasean:
Just curious...I agree that bigger is better, but wonder how you went from "13 feet long is generally okay" (as I infer from your present boat being seemingly okay until your wife rode in it)
to "needs to be at least 18 feet"?

heh

That was only the second time I've had that particular boat on Lake Huron (BIG LAKE, one might say GREAT LAKE). All the other times I've used that boat has been on much, much smaller lakes. I've known it was small for Lake Huron, but I was hoping for calmer waters on this trip. But it seems that Huron has been pretty choppy all this summer. In regards to the 18' length, I've been told by several people that they consider 18' to be the minimum safe size for a boat that is to be primarily used on Lake Huron.

Tom

PS. No all her sisters are married, sorry.

herman:

A lot depends on weather you intend to tow or dock. If you are towing then anything over about 18 ft is going to require a REAL tow truck, a 4wd pickup or something like a Suburban. No imports or 2wd or light weight SUV wannabe's will do the job. And No Jeep does not make a Real tow truck. Docking cost a bit more but considering the cost of a tow vehicle, it's worth it (I just put mine in dry dock after 8 year of towing it only 5 miles, best decision I ever made). My dock fee is $130 a month, it's going to take a lot of years to offset the $25-30,000 (used) cost of a tow vehicle. Anything less than 24 ft is not super comfortable to live on so and even at 24ft a "galley" is most like a grill and a sink. The head will be a porta-poty at that size range. So, to get what you want, looks like 30 ft or better would be the way to go. In any case, if you go with a bigger boat 25 or more, diesel is the only way to go. Diesels use about 25 to 50 % less fuel and diesel is a lot cheaper (around here marine gas is around $2.25 and diesel is in the $1.00 range and using 50 to 100 gallons is not uncommon), not to mention safer. Diesel fumes do not explode. Yea, they cost more but are easier to maintain and the operation cost adds up very quickly.
As an alternative, have you considered just renting a boat or charter one? I know the per trip price is high but when you average it out over the year, it's a lot cheaper and maintance is his problem, not yours.

Do you really, really want a boat.....there is a reason there are alot of them for sale :)

Wow - $130 a month is less than what it costs to rent a mooring for the season in Massachusetts for a 19' boat. Of course the size perception will all be relative. To me a well engineered 22' boat would be sweet (coming from my 19'). I think it also has to do with how well equipped you are. I see weekend yahoos with a cell phone as their only communication device and line of sight to buoys as their only navigation tool. :wink: If you have the same boat equipped with radar, gps, depth, life raft, backup kicker engine, epirb, radar reflector, etc., etc. it becomes a totally different boat and level of safety.

You can buy a 22' boat on trailer that is just below 5000lbs dry. 4wd is a must. My 6cyl Jeep moves my 3200lb boat out of the water and up the ramp without touching the gas when in 4wd low range. For a 5000lb boat I may need to touch the gas pedal :wink:

Jeep praising aside, bigger is more comfortable but check out space engineering alternatives. Not all 19, 22, or 24' boats offer the same comfort space.

--Matt

herman:

At this point we are "considering" shopping for a boat. I have to look around (I know it is late) but I might charter one for a few days this year, to see if my wife REALLY likes it. We have walked around a few ports looking at all the weekend cruisers and she has expressed alot of desire to give it a try. When she started talking about a bigger dive/fishing boat for me, I wanted something I could share with her. The only way I am going to shell out some major cash for a boat, is if my wife can enjoy it as well. If she likes it and it is something we can enjoy together, the money (as long as we can afford it) is not that important. I would be renting a docking slip (if we buy), I only wish that it would be $130 a month. If I have to move it by trailer occasionally, my brother has an F-350 with dual tires. Since I'll be letting him use the boat too, getting his help shouldn't be a problem.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom