I just don't log dives,why not?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two different questions that have been addressed in this thread, causing some controversy when they are confused:

1) Why do some people select the option "I just don't log dives" when completing their ScubaBoard profile settings?

2) Do you log your dives?

Some people who choose that setting might log their dives, or not, or might just not want people to judge them by their dive count...

I agree, however it appears some posters are relating dive count to ability to post with an apparent relationship to their diving ability. Thus I see four points here;

1. Log/don't log dives

2. Dive count on SB

3. Ability to post quality material on SB

4. Ability to dive regardless of any dive logging, ability to post on SB or displaying of dive number on SB

So for me;

1. I log dives because I chose to and want to, what others do are their business
2. I must admit I just filled out the boxes as presented to me when I first joined, simple as that.
3. I post what I post and stand by that, and if I am clearly wrong will stand corrected and apologise where appropriate (hey dude!), but will respectfully debate my point if I believe I am correct.
4. Each of us is judged on our diving skills by others each time we dive with them, whether we like it or not and whether we think we are a great diver or not. Peoples opinion of me will be their opinion, regardless of what I think or do.

Ive witnessed someone buy a dive log book and sit at a cafe filling in a few dives to a certain depth to prove they had the "experience" needed to escape a scuba review and easier first dive before walking into a dive centre that requested it. Dive logs prove absolutely nothing. They're worthless as a tool for that.

The easiest way to assess a divers competence is give them a tank, BCD and regs then say "OK, if you just set your kit up i'll be back in 2 minutes with a briefing".
If they do it without issues they'll be fine in the water. If you return and they're standing there still holding the BCD whilst staring at the tank or has the BCD on sideways/regs on first they'll likely be useless in the water. That and/or they trained in the Caribbean where they never have to do it themselves.

It totally escapes me why someone would fake a log book (unless perhaps one done from memory as the book was lost). Why would anyone take a course or do a certain dive they weren't really qualified for? Perhaps that could be dangerous? Also, why would anyone fake their number of dives in their SB profile? It's not like anyone (divers or non divers) gives a hoot anyway. It's not like we're like A Rod doing steroids to fake HR totals so the world views him as superman. We're divers just doing a thing others passively wonder about. I guess some would get off thinking others on SB think their great? OCS dictates that I log everything and do it honestly.

It totally escapes me why someone would fake a log book (unless perhaps one done from memory as the book was lost). Why would anyone take a course or do a certain dive they weren't really qualified for? Perhaps that could be dangerous? Also, why would anyone fake their number of dives in their SB profile? It's not like anyone (divers or non divers) gives a hoot anyway. It's not like we're like A Rod doing steroids to fake HR totals so the world views him as superman. We're divers just doing a thing others passively wonder about. I guess some would get off thinking others on SB think their great? OCS dictates that I log everything and do it honestly.

Off hand, if someone were not logging their dives and wanted to do a course that they WERE qualified to do but were refused for the lack of a log book, because not every instructor will substitute skills evaluation and there may in fact be agency prohibitions?

I log my dives, electronic and paper, but if I were in such a situation and this was the only means of getting the training I wanted, I just might do it myself. I don't think I would feel bad about it either if I were refused a skills evaluation in lieu.

It totally escapes me why someone would fake a log book (unless perhaps one done from memory as the book was lost). Why would anyone take a course or do a certain dive they weren't really qualified for?

Because they believe they are capable of doing the dive. Personal choice and preference. To avoid having to do a review or refresher if they believe they don't need one. To meet the entry criteria for a course without having to do additional dives to get there. Plenty of reasons. Ultimately its personal choice whether someone wants to do a dive or not.

Perhaps that could be dangerous?

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Maybe they know their own ability, level, do a risk assessment and deem the risk low and acceptable.

I've got no huge problem with this as i maintain logbooks are utterly utterly worthless in proving anything to anybody. They're best ignored.

I log all my dives now, but didn't start doing that until the later 90's. So many years of not logging......

Why? because I want to make a record to use as a reference down the road. I could care less about the tech info like air consumption etc. I want the depth, the bottom time, the basic conditions (current, vis), the basic topography, and what species I saw and got in the camera.

I often go back to the better areas and, when I go to a repeat area, I will take copies of the old logs. Then, when I go to a site I have been to before, I look it up. I will see all the info I need to decide which lens/port I might want to use. If I went macro on a previous trip and thought wide angle would have been better, I will note it for the next time around.

I write very detailed accounts of what I saw, and it has paid off in spades. I designed my own logbook that has lots of narrative space. I went to Kincos and had the pages printed, and put on a spiral binder with a cover made of one of my photos. It is nice, easy to use, and never mistaken for anyone else's logbook.

Kind of doubt that any store would accept a log instead of a C-card in 2014... but Padi will be more than happy to sell you another copy! Plus, you can pay them for the electronic version that you can keep on your phone... :)

Last year I checked to see how much it would cost to get a fresh copy of my NAUI c-card since that was the only card I ever held and it is getting a bit long in the tooth. I almost warhammered right at my desk. And then they go on about additional time... paper records.... I took a picture of it for my phone and leave the original at home.

When i climb up the ladder and drop my rig I'm immediately helping team b get over the gunwale, after that I'm setting up my next bottle while watching my divers in the water and putting the fish on ice, after that I'm putting dive **** away and getting the boat ready head in. Then i have to run the boat in while watching the bottom finder for new spots to hit next time, clean the boat, clean my gear, clean the fish and boom its 1am with work the next day. Wake up with a list of **** to do that didn't get done yesterday because i was offshore having a damn ball.

In short, i don't log dives because I'm too busy diving.

Off hand, if someone were not logging their dives and wanted to do a course that they WERE qualified to do but were refused for the lack of a log book, because not every instructor will substitute skills evaluation and there may in fact be agency prohibitions?

I log my dives, electronic and paper, but if I were in such a situation and this was the only means of getting the training I wanted, I just might do it myself. I don't think I would feel bad about it either if I were refused a skills evaluation in lieu.

Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 09:11 PM ----------

Because they believe they are capable of doing the dive. Personal choice and preference. To avoid having to do a review or refresher if they believe they don't need one. To meet the entry criteria for a course without having to do additional dives to get there. Plenty of reasons. Ultimately its personal choice whether someone wants to do a dive or not.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Maybe they know their own ability, level, do a risk assessment and deem the risk low and acceptable.

I've got no huge problem with this as i maintain logbooks are utterly utterly worthless in proving anything to anybody. They're best ignored.

Ditto.

The same reason why some people fake being an ex vet, police officer, doctor etc. They want to be something they are not so fake it to get the accolades they crave. An issue in their mind. they feel better if their SB record shows 2000 dives, a pro, rather than the reality of a few or non at all. Sad but such is life and some people. For the most people, their conscience wouldn't allow them to do it, but some people have no conscience.

Seems like a lot of effort to fake something very people find terribly interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom