I just have to share this (rant alert)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
<rant>

Ok,

Over the past week or so I have been looking for 2 new Al 80s, so I can get them O2 clean and assemble a second set of doubles.

So since I was bored, I walked into an unnamed dive shop today for the first time just to go check it out. I asked the lady behind the counter if they had any Al 80s for sale, to which she replied we have Al 100s. When I repeated my question she said yes, to which she gave me a rather high price to begin with for the tank alone (it wasn't horrendous but still 30 bucks higher than some shops on the island).

Ok no problem. Then I inquired if they O2 clean tanks, to which she replied yes and that it was somewhere in the vicinity of $100 a tank.

At this point I could do nothing but laugh...see I have O2 cleaned my own tanks in the past (go buy oxyhackers from airpseed press it's a great read) and I am not some newly certified O/W diver that is clueless (no offense). I don't mind paying 40 bucks to get a tank O2 clean if that keeps the shop in business but $100....LOL.

I inquired if she was serious, and the answer was yes at which point I said "Thanks" and walked out.

Now, I sincerely hope that I either misunderstood her (if I did I apologize) or that today is April Fool's day, but that was the fastest a dive shop has ever "turned me off" (about 19 seconds). Needless to say I won't be going in there again.

</rant>

So if anyone has 2 new Al 80s (same color of course pref shotblasted) that are O2 cleaned w/stickers for sale I will take'em and pay ya 200/tank (you can even keep the valves as I won't need them obviously). Now I will tell you that my "regular" LDS is out of tanks, otherwise they would have (more of) my money already.

mrjimboalaska:
you've been to OC........I can tell, did they have any gloves?:D

Yeah, they were 78 bucks for the 3mm, but they advised since you will use them to destroy coral and such...you want to go with the 7mm gloves that are on special for $109.99.

Yes so I know what I get, I know how some people "care" for their tanks :) I bought a set of used doubles before that I paid for and the guy drove off, when I opened them up they had pitts all over the bottom of'em. Now I will tell you that the 2 tanks I bought from Harvey were a good deal though.

I'm surprised you can even get AL80's new here - on Maui I could only buy new tanks from a dive shop if I ordered 12 at a time - lol - no thank you ...

I saw Breeze has them for 150 yesterday. I had never been in the shop on Kapahulu..nice people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom