I love Wyland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Inspiring - that defines Ocean Artist Wyland. Last year, or maybe a little longer ago than that, I had the chance to dive with Wyland from Truth Aquatics Vessel, Vision. We dove near Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands National Park. Having spent countless hours photo-documenting the Channel Islands for everyone from National Geographic to Time Life, it was welcoming to be on the side lines watching the PBS crew film Wyland.
wyland_3404.jpg
As happens on most trips all of us diving together form a bond. At one point, Wyland turns to me and says, "Bob, isn't this cool. We're both artists." I am honored to be a member of the Ocean Artists Society, nominated by Wyland himself. Wyland's energy projects on film and stage. Until you spend time with him one-on-one its hard to fathom the level of inspiration that radiates from him.
wyland_3330.jpg
When I got home, I was so inspired, I had to stop everything I was doing and express my appreciation for his energy and what he has done for our Oceans, and the world. During his recent visit to honor Ernie Brooks at the Santa Barbara Underwater Film Festival, he stopped by my wife's retail store, FineFabrics just a few doors from the Film Festival host Theater - the Arlington.

wyland_5498.jpg
He stole away with the painting I made for him.

At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I watched This Is Your Ocean: Sharks, in which Wyland was one of the stars. His passion (along with Abernathy's and Harvey's) was very palpable. You are lucky to have met and befriended him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hey, Bob. I got to dive with Wyland too here off Catalina. He was on "our" boat (the King Neptune) and we got to talking about some mutual friends from The Cousteau Society. When we got to the next dive site he asked to buddy up with me so he could film giant sea bass. I told him I was a total jinx at that specific site and everyone else ended up seeing them but me when we dove there. He insisted so we dropped down and... voila... three giant sea bass appeared and we started filming. I stayed under a bit longer than he did and when I got back to the boat, he asked if I'd seen the "14 ft great white." I thought he was kidding, but apparently it swam right between us (therefore behind my back) while we were filming. It was an honor to dive with him... but I know he'd never nominate me for anything artistic!

At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I watched This Is Your Ocean: Sharks, in which Wyland was one of the stars. His passion (along with Abernathy's and Harvey's) was very palpable. You are lucky to have met and befriended him!

Can't say enough good things about this movie, as well as the people; Abernethy, Wyland, Harvey, and of course Sylvia Earle. It should be a "mandatory watch" for ALL !

Can't say enough good things about this movie, as well as the people; Abernethy, Wyland, Harvey, and of course Sylvia Earle. It should be a "mandatory watch" for ALL !

Actually Muzik, it was you who recommended this movie to me. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom