Marine Combat Vet Who’s Found Peace in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found a similar peace while diving too. I have about 30 dives now and just got my own gear since I plan on diving more. There are definite similarities between the trail and error of setting up a plate carrier and BPW. Like doing dry runs to make sure everything is in a good spot and then you get in the water and figure out well that doesn't work like I thought it would haha. Semper Fi brother

Welcome to the hobby, glad to hear it's bringing you long-sought serenity. "No troubles, just bubbles" is the phrase I like to use.

With 25 dives down, have you thought about your next certification goal? Nitrox can extend your bottom time, dry suit can enable you to go in colder waters you otherwise wouldn't think were divable.

Welcome, x Navy here, what do you guys over there call Navy guys? Squids, so funny, over her we a called "pusser", an even worse Colloquial term.
20+ years as a Aussie squid.:giggle:
Diving is what I call "my Zen time".
Enjoy.

I read somewhere that diving can be good for both TBIs and PTSD but the science is still new. I’ve tried both the VAs approach, meditation, and even newfangled solutions like injections in the neck (I can’t remember exactly what was in the shot but the doctor was convinced I’d be reborn afterwards) and diving is the only thing that’s made me sleep easier, be happier, and even (albeit rarely) get up early in a good mood if diving is involved.

It’s not just me either. A bunch of guys from my company found diving around the same time and all say it’s been working wonders for them.

Welcome Stephen,

I'm former army infantry, and we have two divemaster candidates that are combat vets as well. One of them has said the same things you have about scuba and peace of mind.

I have some info on the blog, about PTSD and scuba as well.

If you ever need anyone to dive with, just call or text the shop. It usually isn't very hard to convince me to go diving, and we've got a great group of folks who just come and hang out on the weekends.

Bill

Welcome Stephen,

I'm former army infantry, and we have two divemaster candidates that are combat vets as well. One of them has said the same things you have about scuba and peace of mind.

I have some info on the blog, about PTSD and scuba as well.

If you ever need anyone to dive with, just call or text the shop. It usually isn't very hard to convince me to go diving, and we've got a great group of folks who just come and hang out on the weekends.

Bill

What part of NM you operate out of? One side of my family is from Los Alamos so grew up spending lots of time in NM,

What part of NM you operate out of? One side of my family is from Los Alamos so grew up spending lots of time in NM,
Albuquerque. It is truly the land of entrapment... I left for the army and came back. I left to work at the Pentagon and came back. :)

Welcome Hotbrass. Older Air Force guy here. No war-time tours, but was at Incirlik for a year in 81-2 when Turkey was under martial law.
I like, understand and agree with a lot of what you said about diving and the military being similar. I think you'll find a number of vets who are divers.
I've worked in the film and television industry for three decades as a still photographer. I'll check out your documentary on Prime today. Congrats on getting that accomplished.
When I'm not on set somewhere shooting photos, (which of course really slowed down during covid), I decided to do a version of my old Air Force job again part-time, so I've been doing contract security at local north FL VA facilities and have been enjoying it a lot. Talking with people and hearing tons of stories....

Back
Top Bottom