"I mean", "like"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
What the h*** is up with the use of "I mean". Say what you mean or express your thoughts clearly so you don't have to
add "I mean".

And "like"? ... "I paid like ..." No, you paid almost, or a bit more or exactly but you did not pay "like".

Like, Know what "I mean"?

Green_Manelishi:
What the h*** is up with the use of "I mean". Say what you mean or express your thoughts clearly so you don't have to
add "I mean".

And "like"? ... "I paid like ..." No, you paid almost, or a bit more or exactly but you did not pay "like".

I grew up in So Cal, and have tried and tried to lose both those expressions (along with "totally"), but as my father says "You can take the girl out of the Valley, but you can't take the Valley out of the girl."

Although it's fun on vacation, people never quite know where to place me, I wear mostly Eddie Bauer, being from Seattle, and am beyond pale for the same reason, but talk like I'm from LA with a few vestigal British pronunciations sprinkled in :wink:

Oh my goodness, I like *so* hate that! I mean, really!

Listen to Frank Zappa's 'Valley Girl' non-stop for a couple of hours...that should do it.

Like, totally...I'm so sure...gag me with a spoon...

Geezzz, you guys totally roxers.............

Green_Manelishi:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of reading a victim statement in front of a grand jury. I had to read it exactly how the 17 year old kid said it. I sounded so friggin stupid! He used the word "like" four to five times in each sentence. It sounded so bad that members of the jury were chuckling when I began making a rythym with all the "likes" in one sentence. It was so bad that I actually had to explain to them that this was a scared 17 year old kid and not to discredit him just because of his grammer.

You really don't know how stupid it sounds until you have to read it.

No lie...he said "like" out of context in one paragraph over SEVENTY times!

Like, do you know what I mean?...like...

please....if you're a parent and you kid does this...think of me up there. It sounded STUPID!

One of the reasons I love to dive: people have to shut up. On pre-dive gear check when a new buddy asks if I have a slate, I say, "No, and please don't write to me on yours--it can wait 'til we surface."

theskull

Man, whats up wit dat, bro?

Back
Top Bottom