I need drysuit advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong:
Ditto all the great advice, but might add one bit: If you will be moving quickly toward penetrating wrecks and cave diving, make durability under extreme conditions (abrasion resistance, etc.) a key consideration. On this score, I would recommend looking closely at the DUI CF200 series--a "very" rugged compressed (or whatever DUI calls it) neoprene. Shell suits are lighter and faster drying and for some perhaps more comfortable, but the CF200 is real tough stuff, and I like the streamlined feel of it over a shell (but a good shell suit that is properly fitted can also be quite streamlined). I too tried to go for one all-purpose drysuit, but right now my closet is as empty as it's ever been with two suits--CF200SE and TLS350 (both DUI). Good luck.

And I, on the other hand, would avoid anything with DUI written on it like the plague.

I have a BARE ATR-HD, and I'm very happy with it. Not only does it not tear easily, it's damn near puncture-proof. When I installed the P-valve, I used a brand new very sharp punch with a block of hardwood as a backing. I had to hit the punch about 20 times with a heavy hammer to make a visible dent in the drysuit's leg, and another 20 times with renewed vigor to get a small fraction of the small hole to go all the way through. I ended up having to finish the hole with an exacto knife and soldiering iron. Fragile, it ain't.

If you'll be wreck diving and want a suit you don't have to worry about ripping on jagged bits of metal, that would be my recommendation.

MaxPower,
I'm with Mark Vlahos - whatever you get make sure it fits you well.

I used to have a badly fitting suit and it was really hard work to get any decent buoyancy control from it in the 5m to 0m range. My old suit was a good quality Otter that was quite heavy to wear but would not puncture easily.

My current suit fits me better but is far less rugged yet I prefer it because it is easier to carry, easier to repair, drys out more quickly (yes DUI are superb fitting suits but they are not as rugged as some suits and at some point will need repair) and most
importantly allows me to control my buoyancy far better than my old suit did

As a UK diver most of our diving is around wrecks and the punctures I've had have not been from wrecks but from bolts/wingnuts from my BP/W. IMHO what you need to be careful with is your choice of undersuits and thermals. In your position I'd order a 400g Thinsulate B undersuit and some Xerotherm wicking wear - those items are bloody expensive but give you the ability to dive all year round and give you some decent insulation if your suit should flood (I had a full flood about 2 weeks ago)

If he wears a Thinsulate 400g and Xerotherm in the caves that he mentions he wants to dive, he'll overheat in very short order. I tried my 300g Thinsulate undergarment for a dive in Devils Eye at Ginnie Springs once. I left the water with my undergarment soaked with sweat.

Clearly, he is going to need something like a 200g polarfleece for the warmer waters, and something like you mentioned for diving his home waters.

In caves sure, but he's at 25 dives how long will it be before he's ready ?ie buoyancy control and mentality? It may well be by that stage his 400g would need replacing.

Secondly the Xerotherm is a wicking layer that can be used under a wetsuit so it can be used if he tries cavern dives and does not want to carry a drysuit with him.

The problem in this area, is that the springs are the same temps as the caves. So even if the diver came to this area to do any OW diving, the problem would be the same.

Oddly enough, some UK divers were over here doing some course, and they were wearing Xerotherms ONLY under their neoprene drysuits... And these were 2-4 hour dives. None complained about being even chilly.

Neoprene drysuits? Presumably O3s?

I use a Trilam and you could use an Arctic Xerotherm (similar to 200g) in summer but I use the same config throughout the season. I never get that warm until we hit 16C and above. I also have less bioprene than some folks :)

I wanted a bare but I could not get the one I wanted custom uutil the end of the year so I went with a diving concepts and I can't wait to get it

Back
Top Bottom