I’ve found a wreck and I need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting topic even though dated.

A few years back, probably 2000, I worked on a boat with a guy who was transitioning over from yachts. He told me a story about a wreck loaded with ivory that sometimes uncovers. I thought he said it was in the Bahamas. Very interesting to hear the same basic story twice so many years apart.

Maybe there was something to it. I can't imagine trying to legally recover any sort of treasure from the Bahamas or Caribbean countries and expect to keep anything.

Thought this sentence was going to end differently.
:D nah, different transition. Way back in the '00's.

The OP hasn’t logged on for a dozen years, folks.
Which means his salvage of the ivory was successful and that he's living a comfortable retirement! Or he was trolling... and not for fish.

However in my limited knowledge of ship designs of that era. Normally a slave ship did not have the cargo capacity to carry both slaves and general cargo at the same time. What space was left had to be used for provisions and spare parts for the voyage.

I am afraid you don't have too many options.

You can salvage what you want and then black market the ivory. Might be tough to do without provenance given the restrictions on the ivory trade instituted in the last few years. To quote Rodney Dangerfield, "I am not sure if you are aware who runs that business, but I assure you it is not the Boy Scouts."

Have you contacted a maritime lawyer in the country in which the wreck located and seeing if you have a legal claim that can be made? Unfortunately, the era of treasure hunting is rapidly closing or completely gone except where there is a mechanism for establishing a claim.

Alternatively, if you think it is a slaver, have you considered contacting Diving with a Purpose and letting them handle it?

If you have a reasonable moral compass, you should already know what you should do. The rest is a matter of contacting the proper individuals to get the job done.
Per Greek law, any shipwrecks I discover in Greek waters I am entitled to a reward based in the "value." Value is based on the historical value, not what it would fetch on the black market.

I have been given the description of where to find some wrecks by a sponge diver who has had his finds verified in 2015.

Might be bravado but he does have a track record and a sharp mind back when I met him (i think he's passed).

As I told the archaeologists I spoke with Saturday for my NGO's support of their expedition in September, if any of these tips pans out,. I've promised to forfeit the rewards, take government archaeologists diving to see themselves. I'd take pics to show them. As I'll have a dive center, I'd even provide trimix of needed for any divers on rebreathers.

The chance to do that and participate in a supporting role in projects is worth far more to me than any financial awards (which all archaeologists in Greece with whom I've spoken, find distasteful).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom