I was wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, what I need help with is what you could call a video "shot list" of events or "opportunities" a recreational diver could find themselves in, where having DIR skills ( such as trim and bouyancy) will make a major difference in how much fun they can have/how much adventure they can safely enjoy.

My buddy and I had a moment of navigational error in Bonaire on the second (outer) reef. 100' of water, and we're both pointing 180 degree opposite directions towards shore. So we did a free-ascent, complete with nice 10' stops starting at 50', and made it to the surface calmly. Without mid-water buoyancy skills it would have been an extremely nerve-wracking experience. It would have been even more relaxed had I, say, brought along an SMB and spool!

Not sure if that's the kind of example that you're looking for. The silty overhang sounds pretty awesome.

The simple fact is that we rarely get higher-level DIR reports on ScubaBoard anymore because most of the people doing those dives don't come here anymore. They got tired of the attitude from both the anti's and wannabe's who dominate this forum.

I can remember when both AG and JJ used to post here ... as well as several GUE instructors. Mike Kane, Brando and Joe T were regular contributors. None of them come here anymore. Why is that?

... and where'd RTodd go?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. Not just Atta-boys but reports. I suppose I would rather read 100 atta-boys for DIRF than 1 for a solo diver course or something equally as stupid but it's the reports that get people interested.

When someone sees you calling their diving choices stupid, they're unlikely to show much interest in yours.

Besides ... I don't recall ever seeing anyone posting about a solo diving course in this forum. Nor should they.

What say we leave judgments about non-DIR diving choices out of this forum? There are more appropriate places to discuss them ... places where those with different views are allowed to respond ... :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The simple fact is that we rarely get higher-level DIR reports on ScubaBoard anymore because most of the people doing those dives don't come here anymore. They got tired of the attitude from both the anti's and wannabe's who dominate this forum.

I can remember when both AG and JJ used to post here ... as well as several GUE instructors. Mike Kane, Brando and Joe T were regular contributors. None of them come here anymore. Why is that?

... and where'd RTodd go?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sure they do. some do anyway...

Thanks Brian,

So happy you’ve changed your perspective :)

Lately I have been diving with several pre-Fundies divers and know just how important these class reports are in both helping to inspire divers towards DIR, and helping newly Fundified divers feel a part of our community.

I really love to hear the enthusiasm from new divers who are excited about their recent Fundies classes, and would also love to see more technical diving reports!

Hopefully I'll have something to write up after my class in Jan...maybe Bob and Errol will let me video some of it too. Can't wait!:D

Oh, you're in the January class? Peter and I are going to come down to FL for the dives after the February one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom