Iberostar & Dressel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ScubaJoy65

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Turning 60 in style!

I'm planning a celebratory all-inclusive dive trip for my 60th birthday in January. Knowing winter seas can be tricky, I researched locations and stumbled upon Dressel Divers, a new outfit for us. We have a quote for Dressel Divers with Iberostar in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic, and it's looking promising.

Veteran Diver Seeking Insight

My concern is the dive experience itself. In the past, resorts boasting amazing diving ended up catering to infrequent divers, which isn't ideal for us. With over 1,000 dives under our belts and my passion for underwater photography, being herded around isn't our idea of fun.

Hoping for Fellow Adventurers' Input

Have any seasoned divers experienced Dressel Divers? I'd love to hear about your experience, particularly regarding the dive groups and their suitability for experienced divers.

Thanks in advance!

In the past when Dominican Republic and the Bayahibe region were discussed on SB, I recall a dive op. called ScubaFun got strong recommendations. I haven't seen that for quite awhile, but if I were considering your trip, I'd do a forum search and check into them. I've not dove in the D.R. Enjoyed a topside ATV tour on a cruise stop once in Samana.

Turning 60 in style!

I'm planning a celebratory all-inclusive dive trip for my 60th birthday in January. Knowing winter seas can be tricky, I researched locations and stumbled upon Dressel Divers, a new outfit for us. We have a quote for Dressel Divers with Iberostar in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic, and it's looking promising.

Thanks in advance!
For some reason everybody that hasn't dove out of Bayahibe lumps the whole Dominican Republic together, yes the diving out of Punta Cana (on the Atlantic ocean side) is bad.
I just returned yesterday from Bayahibe (on the south Caribbean Sea side) and the diving is quite good and there is something for everyone. There is reef diving, wall diving, wreck diving ( wooden & modern) and even a cave dive. There is no current to speak of, most of the dive sites are with a 20 min boat ride, most sites are 60 to 70 ft deep unless you want deep. We ( non diving wife) stay at Dreams Dominicus La Romana and I dive with Scuba Fun in the village of Bayahibe. It is only about a 10 minute taxi ride from the resorts.
I have been diving with John & crew since 2016 (minus the covid years) and have seen a lot of the same crew since I started diving with them. They put a guide in the water but won't herd you around, they let you dive your tank, they don't make you buddy up, they will come and pick you up at your resort and take you back and will store and rinse your gear while your diving with them. I assume that you can arrange a private guide.
I have some of my dive pictures on his Facebook group, If would like to see them, message me and I will point you in the right direction.
If you decide to dive from Bayahibe and Scuba Fun, tell John that Steve from Canada sent you and he will treat you right. Diving in Bayahibe with ScubaFun
If there is anything else you would like to know about the diving or the area, feel free to ask or message me.

I went to Bonaire 18 years ago and haven't returned, it was the most boring & repetitive diving I have done. Not to mention that the reefs are now under a level 2 alert for bleaching and are suffering from an out break of Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease.

In the past when Dominican Republic and the Bayahibe region were discussed on SB, I recall a dive op. called ScubaFun got strong recommendations. I haven't seen that for quite awhile, but if I were considering your trip, I'd do a forum search and check into them. I've not dove in the D.R. Enjoyed a topside ATV tour on a cruise stop once in Samana.
I just returned yesterday from diving with Scuba Fun.

I just returned yesterday from diving with Scuba Fun.
The OP was asking about Dressel, not Scuba Fun. Perhaps you should report your experience to Undercurrent to balance the less positive reviews about Bayahibe diving.

The OP was asking about Dressel, not Scuba Fun. Perhaps you should report your experience to Undercurrent to balance the less positive reviews about Bayahibe diving.
Did you read the whole post? The OP was concerned about the on site dive shop not catering to experienced divers.

"My concern is the dive experience itself. In the past, resorts boasting amazing diving ended up catering to infrequent divers, which isn't ideal for us. With over 1,000 dives under our belts and my passion for underwater photography, being herded around isn't our idea of fun."

I offered an alternative shop that would more in line with her experience level.

Not interested in turning Bayahibe into another Punta Cana with endless resorts and over run with people.

Not a ‘seasoned diver’ only about 300 or so dives.
I dove with Dressel in Bayahibe in Dec. It was convenient to dive with the on-site shop. They were professional and true to the information provided.
They are, however, on a schedule. It is true that once they have evaluated you, they will group you with other like divers if possible, but you are all still on the same boat. 45 minute dives. If you are dropped off first, maybe a 50 min dive. The dive sites are set, if it’s Tuesday then x, Wednesday is…
I am now aware what it feels like to be getting back on the boat with 1/2 tank or more of air.
:-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom