Ibuprofen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi all,
Can any one tell me how safe it is to take ibuprofen wilst diving.
This would only be to a rec level of 30 metres. I am about to leave to go on holiday and i have a bad tooth ache and and get pains in my back,i will not be able to get to see a doctor/dentist before i have to leave.

Regards,
MAL..

I usually take 2 X 800mg a day while diving. I've had no problem.

I'd be more concerned with the tooth & back conditions than the ibuprofen. You'll be away from your customary doctors & perhaps in a foreign location where good dental & medical care aren't readily available.

As for ibuprofen, the drug is usually well tolerated at recommended doses. The most common complaints involve GI distress, dizziness, headache & nervousness. An adequate topside trial should allow one to determine their particular reaction. Be sure to read the product warnings regarding alcohol intake.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the replies.
Doc i am hoping to see an osteopath the day before i fly but i know i will be in pain for a couple of days after.:( He shows no mercy...
The dentist will have to wait as in UK you have to book your illnesses in advance

Regards,

MAL..

Perhaps on your return you can give us all a good description of dental squeeze.....

MrMojo,

Forgive me BEFORE I pick on you. Actually, I'm picking on anyone who has a choice between free, nearly free and fee for service health care.

I cannot believe the British heath system. You are willing to wait for months if necessary for what would be considered acute emergency treatment.

In the US ( and I'm not bragging about health care here) if I were to wait months to treat a possibly acute condition, several things would happen.

First, the patient could die...no kidding! Then I would be sued! Next, if this were a patient of record and I couldn't see them immediately, they would go to ANOTHER dentist. I could be sued for abandoment.

The policy at my private office is to see ANY patient of record the SAME DAY for acute care. I even try to see new patients the same way..including weekends.

If you need an open heart operation, do you go to the best doctor or the lowest bidder?

Get that stupid tooth looked at. You are placing yourself at risk both diving and flying. You could set yourself up for a cavernous sinus thrombosis, Ludwig's Angina, not to mention a garden variety toothache which will certainly screw up any dive plans you've made!

Now the Ibuprofen. You are taking a very large dose without consulting a doctor. While it is useful for muscle and joint aches and pains, I've found it a rather poor medication for an acute dental problem (with some exceptions).

The following is copied from a site providing information on Ibuprofen. Please note the medications and conditions which complicate this medication.

Sorry for the rag...have the tooth checked out by a doctor who accepts money!

Laurence Stein DDS
:doctor:

Why is this medication prescribed?

Ibuprofen is used to relieve the pain, tenderness, inflammation (swelling), and stiffness caused by arthritis and gout. It also is used to reduce fever and to relieve headaches, muscle aches, menstrual pain, aches and pains from the common cold, backache, and pain after surgery or dental work.

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should this medicine be used?

Ibuprofen comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth. It usually is taken three or four times a day for arthritis or every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. Follow the directions on the package or prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take ibuprofen exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than directed by the package label or prescribed by your doctor. If you think that you need more medication to relieve your symptoms, call your doctor.

If you obtained ibuprofen without a prescription, do not take it for more than 3 days for fever or 10 days for pain without talking to a doctor.

If you are taking ibuprofen for pain and the painful area becomes red or swollen, call your doctor.
What special precautions should I follow?

Before taking ibuprofen,

* tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to ibuprofen, aspirin or other medications for pain or arthritis, or any other drugs
* tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, atenolol (Tenormin), carteolol (Cartrol), cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), digoxin (Lanoxin), diuretics ('water pills'), labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid), medications for arthritis or diabetes, methotrexate, metoprolol (Lopressor), nadolol (Corgard), phenytoin (Dilantin), probenecid (Benemid), and vitamins. Do not take aspirin or acetaminophen when using ibuprofen unless directed to do so by your doctor.
* tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver, heart, or kidney disease; high blood pressure; any stomach problems; or any other gastrointestinal disease.
* tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking ibuprofen, call your doctor.
* if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking ibuprofen.
* you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
* if you drink 3 or more alcohol drinks every day, ask your doctor if you should take ibuprofen. You should not drink alcoholic beverages while taking ibuprofen.

What special dietary instructions should I follow?

Ibuprofen may cause an upset stomach. Take ibuprofen with food or milk.
What should I do if I forget a dose?

If your doctor prescribes ibuprofen on a regular basis, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?

Although side effects from ibuprofen are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* headache
* dizziness
* nervousness
* upset stomach
* stomach pain or cramps
* vomiting
* constipation
* diarrhea
* gas

If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

* bloody vomit
* bloody diarrhea or black, tarry stools
* ringing in the ears
* blurred vision
* swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
* skin rash
* itching

What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?

Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of emergency/overdose

In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.
What other information should I know?

Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor may order certain lab tests to check your response to ibuprofen.

Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.

Last Revised - 01/01/2003

ASHP Logo

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682159.html

For Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis:
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic87.htm

For Ludwig's Angina:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001047.htm#visualContent

"Now the Ibuprofen. You are taking a very large dose without consulting a doctor. While it is useful for muscle and joint aches and pains, I've found it a rather poor medication for an acute dental problem (with some exceptions). "

You've lost me here--where has the inquirer, MrMojo, indicated the dose he is taking?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

upon re-reading, it seems that awap was taking 2x 800mg

I apologize. I do stand by my feelings that we are responsible for our own health and many of the complications created by non-treatment.

I get asked all the time, "does insurance cover this"? The tooth is infected and needs a root canal or extraction. It is not for me to formulate proper treatment based on a person's coverage by insurance. When possible I will try to work within that framework but there are times the answer is NO...insurance won't pay...so now what do you want to do? (More tactfully, I hope)

MrMojo CC pains in the back and an unidentified dental problem. I'll bet he'll spend a pretty penny to travel to a dive vacation spot. For a few pounds more, he could probably find a fee for service dentist in the UK who might solve his dental problem.

I would really like to hear from him in a few weeks about any experiences he might have had. If his trip was wonderful...great...if it was a bummer...ITYS.

The two medical conditions are certainly extreme. They do happen...although with modern antibiotics, survival rates are better now...if caught early. Once septic though, the survival rates can be nearly zero. Ludwig's Angina is a better outcome unless you become septic...especially if an airway can be established.

I served a residency following dental school (back in the dark ages). I have seen both conditions. I've also had the pleasure of treating gun shop wound, beatings with baseball bats and did a complete year of general anesthesia. While I can't claim the experience of a physician, I got a healthy doese of medicine and the consequences of he failure to act.

The cavernous sinus thrombosis was by far the worse looking presentation. That patient died....from an infected molar.

Time to get off my soap box. I wish everyone luck and a wonderful trip. Just be careful out there.

Thank you for pointing out my error...must have hit my head on something

:)

Laurence Stein DDs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom