Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vivoazzurro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi ScubaBoard 👋

I purchased two old tanks along with a first & second stage regulator. After some research I've been able to determine that they are both steel tanks with operating pressure of 2250psi. Although, I can't find manufacturer's info on the second tank nor the reg. Any ideas?

1st tank. Steel 2250PSI tank made by Norris(?). I believe it was last hydro tested in 1970. What does FL mean and is there any indicator as to the size of the tank?
PXL_20240108_010425709.jpg
PXL_20240108_010441692.jpg

2nd Tank. Steel 2250PSI that looks like it was hydro tested sometime in the 60s. Not in great condition and I don't know the manufacturer. Looks like it was made under the ICC standard (which I know nothing about). Any info on this guy would be great!
PXL_20240108_010242262.jpg
PXL_20240108_010257583.jpg

And here is the regulator! I can't find this logo anywhere. Any ideas on the make & model?
PXL_20240108_010537284.MP.jpg
PXL_20240108_010602496.jpg

As a bonus here is an old (broken) backplate and some more tank photos! Thanks all :confined:
PXL_20240108_010308268.jpg
PXL_20240108_010305769.jpg

PXL_20240108_010229701.jpg

Norris, Walter Kiddie, and I believe Parkway (edit- seems my guess is wrong)....

Kiddie is from '65, Norris is from '70

ICC was the Interstate Commerce Commission.... Which became the DOT. Both tanks are 3AA standard.
They are most likely 71.2 cf tanks at their plus rating (commonly referred to as 72's)... I dive old school 72s almost exclusively, though I prefer to run them at 2800 psi. They are about the same height and weight as ab AL80, but are less buoyant... By about 5lb.

Respectfully,

James

Norris, Walter Kiddie, and I believe Parkway.....

Kiddie is 65, Norris is 70
Wow! Looks like Walter kiddie and Norris are still in business. I'm not so sure about parkway though...

Do these brands have any reputations (good or bad)? From what I've read I'm glad that I avoided the old faulty aluminum tanks but I know nothing of these old steel ones. I'll be sure to get them inspected and tested regardless

As for that regulator 😅 the second stage doesn't look too good to me, but that first stage was extremely clean! The filter looked like it had no water exposure at all.. I am just weary as parkway doesn't seem to be in existence anymore.

ICC was the Interstate Commerce Commission.... Which became the DOT. Both tanks are 3AA standard.
They are most likely 71.2 cf tanks at their plus rating (commonly referred to as 72's)... I dive old school 72s almost exclusively, though I prefer to run them at 2800 psi. They are about the same height and weight as ab AL80, but are less buoyant... By about 5lb.

Respectfully,

James
Less buoyant doesn't sound so bad to me. The less weight I have to carry in my pockets the better!

3AA standard seems to be steel correct?

And what are your thoughts on the condition of that yellow bad boy I have? Seen any others like it with that much exterior corrosion?!

Thanks,

Tanks can basically go on forever if kept clean/dry inside, and outside is pretty obvious....

Parkway, had a fairly good reputation, but I know nothing of good/bad model, performance, or if any generic parts are available. I'd probably use/try it for bench work or tire inflation....

Second stage is likely not anything with reasonable performance.

Tanks can basically go on forever if kept clean/dry inside, and outside is pretty obvious....

Parkway, had a fairly good reputation, but I know nothing of good/bad model, performance, or if any generic parts are available. I'd probably use/try it for bench work or tire inflation....

Second stage is likely not anything with reasonable performance.
Thank you 🤣

I'm going to try and open the yellow tank to see if the inside differs at all. Even if it was a dud I got all this for only $40. At the very least I could make some interesting paper weights

I'll see about getting the first stage serviced but I don't think I'll be using the second stage ever, lol. Much appreciated my friend

It's unlikely anyone will touch the reg, no factory parts but it's a basic flow by piston so there are 2 orings and a HP seat in it. The orings are common size I'm sure and the HP seat is most likely OK and/or it can be flipped. Odds are also good a SP MK-2 or Sherwood seat would work. It's the perfect reg to start to learn reg service on.

Back
Top Bottom