If a Suunto Vytec Transmitter got knocked off a 1st stage would I lose all my air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
What if question for those who may know? I also dive with a separate spg on a HP hose, I'm going to plug that port up again, because the Vytec transmitter has been very reliable. I would rather reduce my chances if I just stick with my transmitter.

I would think that even if the transmitter gets knocked off or broken, there is still the steel plug that was screwed into the HP port. I don't know the technical portion of how it reads the pressure so I don't know if there are any moving parts inside that screw portion of the transmitter.

Anybody know the facts on answering my question?

My guess, having no experience with the vytec, is that there is either a very small hole in the threaded nipple that screws into your first stage or a diaphram. Depending on how the transmitter got knocked off...and I imagine it would take great force, you may lose air but not so quickly that you would have to make an ooa ascent.

My two cents

Don't ditch your SPG - what happens if you're on a trip and your battery dies? Or you drop your reg while gearing up and damage it? Plus it's a good way to validate that the transmitter is still measuring correctly, by doing an occasional sanity check during a dive and comparing the two.

jonscubas:
What if question for those who may know? I also dive with a separate spg on a HP hose, I'm going to plug that port up again, because the Vytec transmitter has been very reliable. I would rather reduce my chances if I just stick with my transmitter.

I would think that even if the transmitter gets knocked off or broken, there is still the steel plug that was screwed into the HP port. I don't know the technical portion of how it reads the pressure so I don't know if there are any moving parts inside that screw portion of the transmitter.

Anybody know the facts on answering my question?

Keep the SPG. What 'roo said.. its important to have that back up. I use the Xmitter so I cam keep the pressure on the dashboard (right wrist) and that's about it.

You'd have to mash it to break it off - and you would have a severe leak (its right off the HP post... ) but a simple valve shut off and a signal to your close hovering buddy would make this event inconvenient and not completely life threatening. wink

K

Yah, I have to admit it is good backup, common sense advice. The brass SPG stays.

Thanks all.

I don't have a brass SPG on my kit, but I keep one in my bag.

If I was to have a transmitter fail I could still do the next dive.... the current one gets thumbed, of course.

No. The hole in the bottom of your HP port is about the size of a pin, you should be able to ascend from any rec dive with the amount of gas you have left.

On the subject of the transmitter, I agree with Gen on this one. Either you trust it, or not. When I had a Vytec I had only the transmitter on my 1st stage and a backup SPG in my bag. My reasoning was on all rec dives I always have enough gas to get back to the surface if the transmitter failed, so I would only lose part of a dive (switch over to SPG for next dive), carrying along an extra SPG is just one more thing to deal with and possibly fail and as far as I'm concerned if you're going to use an SPG, sell the transmitter.

Ben

I had a Vytec until last week... sold it on ebay. I used it in conjunction with a standard spg I kept clipped up across my chest with a retractor (no dangle this way)

I found it to be pretty accurate, until that one day where for some reason I got interference (possibly another diver with a vytec on the same code.. HIGHLY UNLIKELY)

never figured it out, but I did run out of air... it was reading 900 psi and I was headed back to shore when my reg hit the wall so to speak ... that dreaded hard pull and a quick depth reading of 45' .... scared the crap outta me. (yes I was solo... I know I know... in Laguna none the less)

Check the backup gauge... less than 200 psi... got two breaths as I ascended...

The VYTEC sat on my shelf for the next 6 months until this last week when I sold it.

I'm diving a Cobra these days and still use a backup spg.

Good Luck :D

Bob3 is right...the one to fear is an LP hose leak, not an HP hose leak. Although loud and scary, an HP hose will take a while to drain, unlike an LP hose which will drain a tank DAMN quick..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom