If traveling to Mexico...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is too bad that people have had less than positive experiences in mexico but considering I have been living on teh Caribbean side for over 9 years and have never been sick, what can one say...to top it off, I am a vegetarian who eats a ton of veggies and fruit, lettuce included and this as well has not given me any health issues. Many people think that when travelling to Mexico it is wise to stay away from fresh veggies and lettuce...due to contamination issues, but I have to say, not issues here.

My reccomendations are:

1. drink bottled water
2. brush your teeth with bottled water
3. eat at restaurants that are busy, where ever you see a busy restaurant, know that you will have few issues
4. take care of your health all the time...no matter where you are.

always remember the sea water is cleaner than the "drinking water." After being a victim of Montesuma, still in recovery, all I can say is talk your doctor into filling a prescription of Cipril before you go.

"Cipril" [sic] (Cipro) is not necesarily the treatment of choice for "Montesuma" [sic] (Montezuma's Revenge).

Preventive measures are always preferable to treatment. Watch what you eat and drink. Pepto-Bismol is also a proven and effective measure for preventing "Montesuma."

Tip 1: Start visiting local taquerias for lunch couple weeks before the trip. I'm not talking about Chevis/Chillis/Taco Bells and other places which actually have nothing to do with Mexican food. If your stomach can happily digest food produced by an average taco track you are good to go.
Tip 2: Drink lots of booze! It helps digest pretty much anything and kills bacteria.
Tip 3: Stay away from green salad. It's flushed with tap water or not flushed at all. Either way you might get sick.
Tip 4: If there is no Cipril available, Imodium works as good and available pretty much everywhere.

Do the locals drink the tap water or do they get sick too?

The locals typically have the same type of "flora" in their digestive tract that you'd find in the water and are used to it which is why it doesn't affect them. One of the reasons you may feel "off" when you're in other (typically developing) countries is because your body is exposed to different bacteria which start to wrestle with your existing and quite happy bacteria. When that happens all hell can break loose and by loose I mean loose. Sometimes Montezuma is more than that like potentially crypto or other things that would affect even the locals but typically it's just the mild wrestling type. Its uncomfortable but can be avoided by following the suggestions in this thread.

In some of the coastal small towns, the water is brackish. It is best to know your source is potable before you drink it.

After reading this member's posts, doesn't this apply?

Terms of Service Definition: Trolling
Exploiting the weaknesses of human nature or of an on-line community to upset people. ScubaBoard includes POV warriors, cranks, impolite users and disruptive behaviour in this definition.

004fig00.jpg

Big crank

DC

I came back from my Coz holiday with a really dodgy stomach.

I went to the doctor and she informed me that there is now a vaccine for the most common forms of traveller's diarrhea and that I was unfortunate to not have known this before heading off to Mexico.

The locals typically have the same type of "flora" in their digestive tract that you'd find in the water and are used to it which is why it doesn't affect them. One of the reasons you may feel "off" when you're in other (typically developing) countries is because your body is exposed to different bacteria which start to wrestle with your existing and quite happy bacteria. When that happens all hell can break loose and by loose I mean loose. Sometimes Montezuma is more than that like potentially crypto or other things that would affect even the locals but typically it's just the mild wrestling type. Its uncomfortable but can be avoided by following the suggestions in this thread.

It should help to preload before you go down with yogurt with active cultures in it.

I've been down there 3 times now (soon 4) and the only problems I had was once with the "mexican platter" at the Omni in PA (the rest of the food there was fine, although the margaritas were a little bit weak).

MrSpock:
Tip 2: Drink lots of booze! It helps digest pretty much anything and kills bacteria.

And I don't think Alcohol actually kills anything -- although feel free to keep telling yourself that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom