If you only had 2 ports for your Nauticam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy why do you say the FE doesn't work with the 4.33 port? have you tried it

Hi,

I don't think it's a good idea to use a dome port like the 4,33" for Macro photography:
- You get less magnification then with a dedicated port. Objects are 1,34x lager with flat ports.
- because of the curvature of the dome port, you will have less working distance to your subject.
- It's more difficult to position your strobes with a larger dome.
- You can easily damage your dome if you go very close to the corals.
- A macro port is easier ton handle and more compact then 4,33" dome port.

Hi,

I don't think it's a good idea to use a dome port like the 4,33" for Macro photography:
- You get less magnification then with a dedicated port. Objects are 1,34x lager with flat ports.
- because of the curvature of the dome port, you will have less working distance to your subject.
- It's more difficult to position your strobes with a larger dome.
- You can easily damage your dome if you go very close to the corals.
- A macro port is easier ton handle and more compact then 4,33" dome port.

Shaker, there is generally nothing wrong in using a macro lens a dome port (!). Actually a dome is a better way than a flat port to channel light rays to an air enclosed lens space reducing various aberrations/distortions especially if the dome is designed specifically for a lens.
In the case of the 4.33" dome (which is specified in the Nauticam chart for a few lenses including the FE 8mm lens) I am not sure what other lenses are optimal but the proof is in complex optical calculations or just plain trying them underwater with different apertures in a very controlled environment.

The 60mm lens would probably fit well with a 30mm extension. Given that the FOV underwater is now what it would be its native FOV it does not mean that I cannot use the lens in a 4.33" dome port. The magnification you get is actually the same as with a flat port but indeed you have to get closer to your subject with respect to a flat port to achieve full magnification. With a 60mm lens it will probably be ok since 60mm should give enough working distance (compared to the 45mm which is the macro lens I have).

The whole point of this discussion was to minimize the number of ports to carry around which is something I am avidly after because of Ryan Air and other restrictive luggage control. The 4.33" is light (acrylic) and would fit a few important other lenses (the 8mm FE and the 9-18mm and 60mm with the extension). For me these 3 would be the most usable quality lenses for what I do so I have been thinking of trying the 4.33" port and extension as a nice port to do what I need.

Currently I have the 4" dome for the 9-18mm, the 45mm port for the 45mm macro, the 12-50mm lens and dedicated port, the 3.5" dome for the 8mm FE. I find myself using 90% of the time either the 8mm and 3.5" and 45mm macro with its port. I have mixed feeling about the 12-50mm do it all compromised setup. I tend to use it only when I am not sure I know what to take pics of underwater (and results are often less sensational!) I am now thinking of maybe sellng the 45mm macro lens and port and 4" dome port and replace it with a 60mm macro lens and 4.33mm port.

The situation:
I presently have an OMD with Nauticam housing with a 60mm and macro flat port and the 4" dome port for my 9-18mm. I went on a minor shopping splurge, so I now also have the 8mm fisheye, 12mm F2, in addition to the 12-50mm kit lens. I would like to limit my travel bag to 2 ports so am considering the following:

Get the 12-50 port w zoom gear, with flip folder and diopter.
I can use this one port for both the 60mm and 12-50mm correct? My main reason for this was occasionally I found myself wanting to shoot some video, (flamboyant cuttle, wunderpus) and I found that to be unwatchable shot w the 60mm. Or should I just keep using my 60mm flat port and buy a GoPro and mount it to my camera. That maybe cheaper than the 12-50 port/gear.

For wide:
4.33" dome. If i read the port chart correctly, I can put the 8mm fisheye and the 12mm F2 behind it. I'll lose some angle of view from the 9-18, but I can use one port for both fisheye and wide.

Or should I just learn to travel w 3 ports...

My recommendation (and what I am aiming for):

4" dome for 9-18, 12-50, and 60
4.33" for the W/A lens

I recently returned from the Maldives traveling with one port and the first three lens (my 8mm is on its way). I used home made zoom gear for 12-50 (similar to the australian one mentioned in this thread) and a home made flip-diopter for the 12-50. I didn't make much use of the flip diopter, as the only macro I got to take was in a night dive where I went down with the 60mm. However, I found this combination effective in red-sea dives where I combined W/A with macro in shore dives in Red Sea or the Mediterranean.

Another alternative is to ditch the 9-18 and go with the macro port for the 12-50/60 (as reported by Alex Mustard in wetpixel, I did not try this) and use the 4.33 for the w/a. The good is that you have native 67mm filter for diopter, the bad news is that the 9-18 is actually a superb lens.

My experience with the 60mm beyond the 4" dome was very positive. I did not feel it limited my access to subjects (the working distance is long enough).

IMHO the 12-50 port/zoom gear is an over-engineered expensive solution, I'd rather spend that money on getting another lens...

Cheers

Nir

Back
Top Bottom