If you replaced your gear within 6 months of purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I thought i'd start a thread just out of curiosity...

If you changed your gear after 6 months or less of usage, please list out what you had, what you replaced it with, and why you changed.

eg:

HAD: XYZ jacket BCD
REPLACED WITH: a blue H after 1 dive

REASON: scubaboard told me to do it

it's 1am...don't ask me why im starting this thread

TUSA Jacket BC to AGIR 36# Wing and SS BP
TUSA Mask with purge valve to XS Scuba skirtless mask
TUSA TRI-EX Fins to SCUBAPRO JETS
TUSA Regs to SALVO SRS and SRX
short hose to long hose
pigsticker to shears

Wishing I knew more about scuba and gear before I bought...well...live and learn! I definitely feel much more streamlined and comfortable in my new gear. It's also much easier to work with.

Carolyn:sharks:

husband, daughter and I all bought full foot fins for certification - replaced them all with booties and open heel fins within 6 months of certification.

we also all bought the cheapest masks and snorkels we could find - replaced those immediately also

Bought Oceanic gauges - replaced with Oceanic DataPlus2 computer within 2 months (now have a Suunto Vyper but didn't get it for 3 years)

I have lots of gear, as do my husband and daugher, but it all gets used depending on water temp (several BCs, Several types of booties, fins, 3mm, 5mm, 7mm, drysuit, etc.)

The only gear I regret buying was the fins and masks --- I should have listened to the people at the LDS and bought good stuff from the start.

SeaQuest Libra replaced with a chimera of an Oxycheq plate and DSS wing. Initially changed because it was required for Fundies, kept the gear because I liked the stability and the uncluttered nature of it.

AirII replaced with Titan LX octo and regs changed to long hose setup. Hated the Air2 when we actually tried to do air-sharing using it as the backup, and had a chance to do some air shares with somebody who had a long hose setup and decided it just made sense.

ScubaPro TwinJets replaced with Jet fins after watching a video of me trying to frog kick in a set of Razors. I already had spring straps on the Twin Jets, and put them on the Jets as well.

UK hand held light (can't remember the make) replaced with NiteRider 10W HID replaced with Salvo 21W HID (I think that sequence may have taken more than six months, though). Can lights rocked my world -- being able to communicate in turbid water was fabulous!

Seaquest Diva BC replaced with a Zeagle Zena
Dacor Vyper octo replaced with Zeagle Envoy

Replaced both because I absolutely hated the Diva and the Vyper breathed a bit too wet for my liking.

Seaquest I3 replaced with Zeagle stilleto
Aqualung octo... replaced with Alternate on inflator
Cobra 2 computer.. wife has now... I have Oceanic VT3 air integrated <---- love it

Bruce

Tusa Visualator mask and Oceanic Dry snorkel...for a Seavision mask and "tube" snorkel

Why? MASK was too big clear easily, snorkel was BIG LUMP o' Plastic and threatened to rip my mask off with every kick....

Post 6 months...

I replaced my Mares Plana Avanti fins with Avanti Quattros
I replaced my Aeris Atmos XT BCD with a Dive Rite Transplate
I replaced my "tube" snorkel with a roll up pocket jobbie

Back
Top Bottom